When should a baby be off the bottle?

My son is a year old and I am having trouble getting him off the bottle. I only give him a bottle at night, durning the day he takes a sippy cup. I cannot get him away from the bottle when he is tired. Please help.

Simple925

Asked by Simple925 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would say when they are ready....if he can go the whole day without a bottle (at least until bed time) then I think he is ready to give it up completely. For awhile after we took the bottle, we still gave him a sippy with milk just to make for an easier transition. Now he only gets water after he brushes his teeth for bed at 16 months.
    He isnt going to hand it to you and say "I'm done with this mom, Im a big boy now." He will fight you at first. Just dont give in. I let my son cry but snuggled him and was very sympathetic. One time I even pretended like I couldnt find that bottle anywhere so he knew I was on his side.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Pitch the bottle so that you will not be tempted to give in. If there's none in the house, you can't give him one. It will only take a couple days for him to realize that there are no more bottles
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• by 1 yr old.
    Anonymous

• its easy, dont give it to him. how hard can that be? and if he cries for it and you give in.... then he walks all over you and he knows it. your the boss, make sure hes aware of it.
    Anonymous

• I never gave my kids bottles at night, and the bottle was never used as comfort for them, so for us it was easy to take it away at a year old. But like the first poster said, sometimes the best way is to just pitch the bottles all together,
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• If you aren't already, put only water in the bottle at night. Milk or formula would be bad for his teeth. If this doesn't discourage bottle use, then get rid of the bottles and tell him they are all gone.

Answer by Bmat at 12:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Thanks so much!!
    Simple925

Answer by Simple925 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Just stop giving it to him. He's drinking from a sippy, he doesn't need that bottle any more. It's a habit now.
    Anonymous

• by one year old its real bad for there teeth just throw them away and give them nothing but sippy cups
    pynki1985

Answer by pynki1985 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I let my little man keep his bottle til he was 15 months then i felt he was old enough to handle a cuppie. after 3 days he was a pro :)
    31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 1:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2009