I have an idea.........for all of the "regulars" in R&B

If there are any of you that would genuinely be interested in learning about other beliefs, obviously with the clear understanding that no one is trying to "convert" anyone, would you like to do a book exchange? The library that I have the easiest access to doesn't have a wide selection of books covering different religions and beliefs. Plus, after a post I made last night, I would like to read the books you site as being the most representative of what you believe. Is this a stupid idea?

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 12:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is a nice idea, but I'm another that has lost too many books over the years. I no longer loan them out to anyone. You can always request that your library do an inter-library loan. I can have any book in my state shipped to my library free of charge. If it comes from out of state I have to pay the shipping, although I have always been able to find them in the state. Ask your librarians for help, they will be happy to assist you in getting the books you would like to read. Try The Jewish Book of Why. It is an excellent resource on Judaisim.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• It think it is a great idea. I am totally up for it. I love to learn about the beliefs of my friends here.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Not a bad idea, but, before you go spending money on postage, go check http://www.sacred-texts.com/   If you surf around you'll find a lot of articles in addition to the strait religious texts, including some Cunningham and some of the others.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• http://watchtower.org/e/publications/index.htm

here you can look at one of the study aids that we use. what does the bible really teach is the one we usually start out with. there are other books, but dont know when they will be available to view online. there are other brochures on what we believe in online. you can view these for free without having to sign up for something.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• It is a nice idea but honestly I would never send any of my books off to strangers, hoping they would send them back. If your library lacks the books you are looking for see if they have inter-library loaning with other regional libraries. Another option is to check the libraries of any nearby universities, many allow residents to use their libraries. The website NotPanicking gave is also a great resource.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Cinn posted something very similar to this idea a while back. (the teaching each other about our personal faiths part).
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• No it's not a tstpuipid idea, it's good to broaden our understanding cause ven if we don't convert to that religion or denomination we have a great understanding of them and can intellectually tell them why we don't believe what they do.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• simply reading a book isn't enough to understand one's religion. with it comes wanting to understand, asking for guidance and sitting with learned people who know way more than that one book. not a bad idea.. but i think its a stretch to understand just reading a single book.
    Anonymous

• try the gift of giving. Don't loan the book, purchase the book and give it as a gift.
    Anonymous

• I understand that reading one book won't enable any of us to completely understand someone else's beliefs. You can't comprehend what someone's religion/beliefs truly mean to them unless you can spend a moment in their shoes and view it with their eyes and feel it with their heart. I just thought it would be a nice overview, if you will. I wouldn't loan out any of my personal books, rather I would buy a new copy of my favorite and send it off without the anticipation I would get it back. If we kept trading and trading each of us would end up with a new book. If there was a small enough group of us where each was willing to participate and commit to buying each member a book, I could do that. Or we could each commit to going out and purchasing ourselves books from a book list and come back to R&B just to discuss things.....without it becoming a debate, lol.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 4:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2009