What can your 3 year old do? (Ie...knows Abcs ec..)

My daughter's just about to turn 3 and I'm curious as to what other 3 year olds are doing.

baboluchi56

Asked by baboluchi56 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Mine could count to 10 in 4 languages, knew the alphabet and a few simple written words. Knew colors, could name shapes and put them quickly in one of those shape sorter boxes. Knew to say Yes Ma'am and so forth. The language thing was mainly because I enjoyed languages, but I felt it couldn't hurt to learn some simple counting.

Answer by Bmat at 12:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My son knows all of his alphabet and is starting to recognize letters/words in his books. He also knows his colors and can count to 20 with a few mess ups. He is starting to recognize numbers on the page, which we are currently working on. He can dress himself, feed himself, and I'm starting ot have him try cleaning himself and brushing his own teeth.
    Kalebs_Momma

Answer by Kalebs_Momma at 12:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• can recite most of her abcs, knows shapes and colors,. Can trace her name and recognize everyones written name in the house and can count to 10.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My typical one recognizes most of his letters and numbers 0-10. He knows all the basic shapes and pentagon, hexagon, trapezoid, parallelagram, octagon, rhombus...he knows his basic colors as well.

He knows the sounds of some letters, too. He recognizes his name and the names of his brothers in print.

He's not potty trained. He knows what he's supposed to do...but fighting me tooth and nail.

He's starting to dress himself.

He's trying to give up his nap. (*I'm* fighting this one! LOL)

(my other two were WAY ahead of this at that age)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My 3 yr old knows her ABC's, can count to 50, knows her shapes, her colors, can match object to object, she can dress her self, prepare some of her own meals with help, brush her own teeth, bathe her self with help, she cleans her own room, helps put her own laundry away, she helps me unload the dish washer and put the sliverware away, she loves to help sort laundry and fhelp fold it and many more other things... but mostly she loves playing and being creative.
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 12:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Knows abc's, can almost completely quote Green Eggs and Ham, knows basic shapes (no hexagon yet lol), knows colors, says please, thank you, you're welcome, and no thank you. I recently taught her why the leaves change color in the fall, she gets a kick out of that lol. She memorizes songs very quickly. Her favorites are: Love Song by Taylor Swift and any Paramore song lol. She can write the letter T and draws a heart very well. She does a nice job drawing people as well. Also likes to help turn the dishwasher on and put the soap in, and she likes pushing the buttons on the washer and dryer. You're going to have fun!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My 19 month old know 1-10, ABC's (can recognise about 10 of the letters now), she knows her colors (red, blue, green, yellow, purple, pink, grey, black, white, orange), shapes (circle, oval, square, rectangle, triangle, diamond, star, pentagon, hexagon, octagon), speaks in complete sentences (stopped counting her vocabulary before she was even 18 months because it was well over 500 words and she used them in the correct context), understands abstract concepts like "tomorrow", can rhyme words (even makes up words to rhyme with others), she brushes her teeth (I go over them too), feeds herself with a fork and spoon, can put on shoes and coats, can ice skate...

I guess developmentally she must be about 3.
    Anonymous