I want a job so bad!

I want a job so bad and im trying so hard but I cant! I have been off work 2 years because of staying home with my son and im in school currently (about to graduate) and no one will answer my applications, or everyone is looking for experience, which i have zero of! im so depressed and frustrated :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• I am sorry. :(

Since the job you are prepared for requires experience, is there some related job that is more available that would give you some experience for your resume? Or some internship that you could do for a short while to show you are capable? or try a temp agency, sometimes people get their feet in the door by doing temp work- the employer sees that they are capable and reliable.

Answer by Bmat at 12:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• The unemployment rate keeps going up and it is very discouraging. I do have a few suggestions, though (I do career and job search coaching).
    Number 1 is networking; Cafemom is a start, but you need to actively seek out people and groups that can help you meet people who can connect you to someone hiring. Less the half of the available positions are posted on the job boards; you need to get out and find the others. A profile on Linkedin is a must!
    Number 2 is having a great "elevator speech". This is a 15 second introduction on who you are and what you are looking for.
    Number 3 is a great resume that tells the reader who you are, what you can do, what you have accomplished, and how you can help.
    Number 4 is great coverletters tailored to the position/company.
    Number 5 is using one of the meta search sites, like Indeed or Simply Hired, to comb the job boards for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:09 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• There are more great tips in the Cafe Mom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/jobhuntingmoms

Answer by rkoloms at 1:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Hey there!

Hang in there~Its tough right now, but honestly I have to say that I netowork alot and that has made it so easy for me.

I have never not been hired with the first application I put in.

Keep living life as normal as you can, this will help your networking efforts, Im never to shy to ask about whats going on in town and "anyone know of any work available"?

Best of Luck!

Emma Weekly
    Owner Of EmmaLeeInc.com

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 1:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. A lot of people are in your same situation. Have you thought about working from home until the job market gets better? I am a stay at home Mom to two beautiful children. I work with a great team of Moms; we help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory, No MLM! WEEKLY PAY! FREE website, training, and UNLIMITED support!! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS. The best part is I can make money and be with my Family!!! Joining Internet CEO Moms is one of the best decisions I have made for my family and myself. You can have the best of both worlds too!!
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!
    Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Check out my website
    http://www.4MyFamilyandMe.com/
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 5:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Hi there! I am sorry for your frustration. I work at home and have for a few months now with a 5 year old in school, a 2 year old at home with me and one on the way. It is my own business, don't know if that is something you are looking for, but wanted to suggest it to you. I work around the kids, my hubby, whatever else is going on. I would love to get you more information and answer your questions for you. My website is www.beingunited.com or my email is rebeccabowen@live.com. Hope we can talk soon! Thanks
    Rebecca
    Rebecca325

Answer by Rebecca325 at 10:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I've been working from home for over a year now as an Independent Contractor. I've been able to find some successful at home jobs, I work on several different projects from home and I've just picked up another legitimate job to generate some extra income....try checking out this site, you may be able to find something that you'd like to do or just try something new, this site has really helped me out a lot http://www.ucanworkathome.info/livelonger
    WAHMLivingHappy

Answer by WAHMLivingHappy at 10:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I currently work from home selling Soy Candles. I never thought of myself as the candle lady, mostly because all I had ever heard about was PartyLite, and I swear peoples eyes glazed over when I mentioned I was thinking about signing up with them! lol But, I found an awesome company and the commission is great! You can check out my site at www.SoyDiva.com =) Any way you decide to go, good luck to you! I know that it is so hard for a lot of people, even with experience to find jobs right now.
    ~Flora
    mama2three717

Answer by mama2three717 at 12:34 AM on Nov. 18, 2009