Whats the best thing to do for a cold in a 17 month old?

She has a runny nose, runny eyes (but thats allergies), she sounds congested when she is sleeping and she has a very slight temp of 99.7. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you!

Frogbaby83

Asked by Frogbaby83 at 12:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Saline mist/drops, tylenol for the fever, warm baths with Johnson & Johnson's vapor bath, baby vicks vapor rub, cool mist humidifiers...

If she is really "phlegmy" try not to give her milk or dairy products before bed because they will increase the amount of phlegm in her throat and make her more uncomfortable.

You can also give a small amount of children's benadryl for her allergies but call your doctor for the proper dosage.

If I think of anything else I'll be back. Good luck and I hope she feels better soon!
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:28 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• same as during infant months. my son is jus now..FINALLY getting over a bad cold: runny nose, dry nose, phlegmy cough, sneezing, no fever. He had a cool mist humidifer in his room, I did the saline drops to help clear his nose (which he actually let me do lol), and I offered him some herbal tea: peppermint and ginger but he HATED those. He gladly accepted a small spoonfull of honey to coat his throat, but it isnt a good habit because it is pure sugar lol. I folded up some towels under one side of his mattress and that seemed to help keep him elevated.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• We eat popscicles when we are sick, crackers and diet sprite. Elevate when sleeping and plenty of rest.

mommy's medicine: hugs.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2009