Is it natural for a boy to be protective of mom?

I have an 8 year old son, I was involved in 2 accidents; one on the job and the other was a medical problem that arose. I was close to dying both times. My son is concerned that if he is not around me I will be injured again. I reassure him, that I will be ok...but he still worries. Is it normal for a child/boy to be protective of their mom?
Terri

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• of course it is. he loves you as you love him and he feels how you would if the situation was reversed.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• It is for my son. He is only three, but he gets very offended just when his father and I are messing around and he thinks Daddy is "being rude" to Mommy, lol. He is always my little defender. Your situation is much more serious, but I think it sounds perfectly legit. Honestly, I'm a grown woman, but if my mother had some near death twice recently I'm sure I'd be moving her in with me and afraid to leave her as well! That is only natural to feel that way for someone you love.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 1:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• my 19 year old son is very protective of me, he always has been. We went through alot together, and I guess he thought he needed to protect me. I always tried to let him know that I was fine. But even now he still acts that way, and we are extremely close. He is def. my mama's boy!
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 2:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Yes, my 8 and 6 yr olds are often protective of me. I developed the habit, when my oldest was very young, of putting myself between them and any strangers that would approach us. Recently, my 8 yr old has started trying to put himself between me and strangers when they approach. It's quite the hilarious conversation that ensues when I try to explain how it's my job to protect him, not the other way around.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• absolutely normal. my 4 yr old boy is protective of me, if i try to talk to a man, ex:dh's cousin was at my mils, he will get in between me and the man and say "thats MY mommy!" dh isnt that possessive.... i find it funny ... mostly....
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:44 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Yes it is.My son has been doing that for years now.Since he was really little.My daughter has started to do that with me as well.Last night she was asleep.Her father and I got into a tickle fight.I was laughing I guess a little too loud.She woke up,started crying,and screaming "me mommy.No hurt!!"Evrey time that I luagh she thinks that I'm being hurt.lol!!My son did that at her age too (almost two).My son will say that if anyone breaks into our home that he'll beat them up "cong pow chicken" style.We are alone a lot.My husband works all the time.
    Anonymous