Why are so many people against circumcision?

My boyfriend in high school wasn't circumcised and he hated it. His Mom was a hippie (she called herself that) and didn't believe in "mutilating the body". I'm not sure how I felt about it at the time since he was my first, but he was really embarrassed. Now I really think its gross, it looked like an elephant trunk hanging out of his boxers.

My husband is circumcised and so is my son. I chose to do it because I didn't want him to have that embarrassment later in life.

How do you feel about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• I totally agree with the OP. Most of the guys that I've known that weren't circ'd were ebarrassed :[ I wouldn't want my son to go through that. I don't think it's wrong by any means to choose not to, but I will cut the turtleneck off all my boys ;) lol
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 12:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I think it is a personal choice. My DH isn't, and we have decided if we ever have a boy we will.
    Anonymous

• I have never heard of someone not doing that. I guess I have always assumed that no one would leave it that way. I agree with you, pretty gross. And isnt that a health risk for bacteria or something?
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I can be a health risk if you don't clean it properly, but it doens't have to be!
    Anonymous

• My son is circumcised. I wasn't interested in doing when he was born because i didn't think it was a big deal. But my husband said that we should because like you said the embarrassment. Plus guys who are not uncircumcised has more utis then those who are. UTI's suck, so i rather my child not get them.
    Anonymous

• I'm not against it. If I ever have a boy, he'll be circumsized.

My baby's father wasn't circumcized immediately after birth, and he got a terrible infection when he was five. He had to go through the circumcision procedure at five years old.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• First of all, some of the people on here need to grow up. No wonder guys get complexes about their intact penises if you call them names like "turtleneck", "gross", "ugly", "anteater", etc.

Second of all, how would you like it if a guy said your vulvas looked like a pair of cow tongues flapping in the breeze? I bet you would get a complex too.

I don't have a son and I am done having children, but you all need to GROW UP!!
    Anonymous

• I have boys and neither are. It is an unnecessary procedure and as many of you have already mentioned, purely for cosmetic or religious purposes. As for hygiene, just like for girls, you teach them to keep it clean. I can not fathom why someone would choose to whack off part of their child's penis because it "looks better". You do know they do it without pain medication and, yes, babies do feel pain. My DH is, but he agreed with me - no whacking for our boys.
    Anonymous