Is anyone attending (or has attended) online college?

I'm thinking of possibly starting online college soon(I'm not sure what for yet) . I looked up a bunch of them, and they seem nice. My question is, which one did you go through and how did you like it? Did you have to pay anything out of pocket right away?

Just wondering...thanks in advance :o)

s.a.d.k.mommy

Asked by s.a.d.k.mommy at 12:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in

• Here are some colleges that offer Health Information Technology. It's more geared toward the paperwork side of healthcare.

Southwest Florida College http://www.swfc.edu/ah/medbill.asp

Brookline College http://brooklinecollege.edu/programs/healthcare/healthcare-administration/

Hodges University http://www.hodges.edu/academics/academicPrograms

Western Governor's University http://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/health_informatics_degree

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I am. I have taken most of my classes online and will have to stop in a quarter and start going to the college. I am going for nursing, but you can get a basic AA pretty much all online. I love it. I have paid for most of it myself, but if you qualify for financial aid you wouldn't have to pay for all of it, single mom's usually get all of it paid for (single meaning not married).
    Anonymous

• I'm attending National American University. I've had online classes and some on campus. I liked the flexibility of online....you can do it when it's convenient for you. The only thing I'd say about the online classes is that you have to be self motivated. It's up to you to make sure you log in and complete the assignments. It takes a lot of discipline. I qualified for financial aid, the only fee I've paid is a $25 enrollment fee.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I took a few online classes through University of Maryland University College. I loved going there, unfortunately since my husband is no longer Active Duty, I don't get a discount so I couldn't afford to go there any more. I will be starting Columbia College's online program in January. I have heard really good things about them and I am very excited about it. What is your major? Maybe I can help you find something. Also, just a word of advice- Don't go to a For profit school such as University of Phoenix, Kaplan, etc. You will spend twice as much money there and most employers will not even interview someone who has a degree from a for profit school. Anyways, good luck in your college decision!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too

Answer by rkoloms at 1:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Wow, I didn't know about the for-profit thing!! How do I know which ones are and which ones aren't?
    Jeremy's Mom : I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what to do...I really would like to do something in the hospital/medical area, but I'm not sure how I would do with drawing blood and all that...It's not me not liking blood, but I think it's more of me not wanting to screw up someone's vein or something! I know, it's stupid! LOL!
    s.a.d.k.mommy

Answer by s.a.d.k.mommy at 1:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• This is not a complete list, but if you run into a college and you are not sure if it is for profit or not, then google "Is ______________ (insert college name) a for profit school?" and it will say ___________ is a for profit school or ____________ is a non-profit school.

Colleges and Universities to avoid-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_for-profit_colleges_and_universities

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• If you're considering something that's accredited, eligible for financial aid, ultimately lucrative, and not a scam, I go to Prince Institute. It's school for court reporting. (You know those people in court who are sitting off to the side "typing" up what everyone's saying?-->Court reporter.) They have a website and they offer a fully online program. They're located in Alabama but don't charge out-of-state tuition. (It's the same for everybody.) It's a good program. It would cost a couple of hundred to get started. (An admissions fee, and a down payment on your student machine and software.) I'm in the 100WPM courses. Court reporters are required by law so there'll always be jobs and you can even major in captioning instead of or as well as court reporting. (Captioning is also required by law, so those jobs will always exist.)

But of course nurses, too, will always be needed!
    Audreying

Answer by Audreying at 12:13 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Jeremy's Mom: Thank you so much! very informative and helpful! Thank you, thank you!

Audreying: That is something I will definitely be looking into...I didn't even think of that job! :o) Thank you!
    s.a.d.k.mommy

Answer by s.a.d.k.mommy at 12:21 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I personally didn't like UMUC. My cousin loved it though. So I transferred to Liberty University and do their online program. I love it. Quite easy, they help you straighten everything out, and very cheap comparatively.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 5:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2009