baby has a cold... im not worried about the cold but its spreading to her eye...its yucky...should i be concerned or will it go away on its own with the cold?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 12:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Health

• You should take her to the doctors, sometimes colds turn into pink eye and ear infections.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• She may have rubbed mucus into her eye; this can cause conjunctivitis (pink eye). If you are breastfeeding, put a drop of breastmilk in her eye several times a day.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• The Dr. will need to get her a prescrip. Something called Gentak I believe. its a gel that goes directly into the eye.
    mygirlscome1st

Answer by mygirlscome1st at 1:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• i would take the baby to the doctor to make sure she/he is okay
    myangelelena

Answer by myangelelena at 1:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My firstborn got a few eye infections from rubbing his nose and then his eye. I did get a prescription one time, but the other times it cleared up on its own. Do your best to keep the face clean (practically impossible with a baby). I would also try using a little breastmilk in the eye. IF the infection worsens you may need to consider going to the doctor. Just keep an eye on it! Good luck.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:09 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Pink eye is just a cold virus. Doctor's don't do anything for it because it's viral.

If it's an infection, that's bacterial and would probably warrant an antibiotic.
    Anonymous

• Or try putting a warm damp cloth over the eye that usually helps it slow down the spreading or just wait it out sometimes there is not too much you can do but give it time.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• i agree with Butterfly...in my experience with my kids it seems to be a waiting game. My youngest is 19 months and he has had this cold for about a month now. He is constantly rubbing his snot into his eyes. No matter what you do you can't prevent that. I warm washcloth will help clear out the area. Repeat it a few times a day as necessary, but if it worsens or you are still worried a trip to the pediatrician is in order. What's the worst that can happen? Either your doc will give you something to put in her eye or tell you not to worry but it's their job to assess the situation and give you advice when you need it. Hang in there. Things usually seem worse than they are.
    KandWsmommy

Answer by KandWsmommy at 1:16 AM on Nov. 18, 2009