What do you see as the big differences between Christian denominations?

I see a lot of questions here about specific Christian denominations. I am just curious to see what moms here see as the main differences between denominations. Any general thoughts on the subject.

nysa00

Asked by nysa00 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Most of the denominations only have minor differences. The only denominations with serious differences in belief are groups like the Latter Day Saints, the Jehovah's Witnesses as they do not believe some of the central beliefs of mainstream Christianity.

These are the basic beliefs of Christian Doctrine.

Here is a doctrine grid where you can see which issues that certain groups disagree on. They are divided into four categories (Primary Essentials, Secondary Essentials, Primary Non-Essentials, and Secondar Non-Essentials). Most denominational differences fall into the Secondary Non-Essentials category.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Excellent info Cinnamon-mom!
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• the denomination i grew up in (church of Christ) does not believe in the Rapture, which i've found most Protestant churches teach. they also believe you have to be baptized to get into Heaven.

i like this chart but it doesnt go into the minor denominations, just the big ones.
    http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/charts/denominations_beliefs.htm
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Great answer Cinn... yeah most denoms are close in doctrine so a chritian can go to any church and get the basic same message. Theon es that are different are like Cinnamonmom said. Jw's, mormons, LDS and SDA. There is also a church I went to not that widely known yet called the WMSCOG, World Mission Society Church of God. They have a really different way of teaching what the bible says.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• The differences in Christian denominations are based minor differences in the philosophical approach to the same beliefs, rituals and basic Biblical concepts. Some churches believe in placing more focus on one concept over another and have formed to nurture those who believe the same. Almost all, except for the groups like Cin mentioned, agree on the same basic mode and method of salvation.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Cin I usually like CARM but I did not like that article when I read it just now lol. I guess someone's view on other denominations is based in the eye of the beholder--even if they are attempting to present it neutrally, it's never quite neutral.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I'm a Seventh-day Adventist and there are a lot of differences between us and mainstream Christian churches.

1. We believe keeping the commandments and baptism are an outward show of faith and if you don't, you do not truly have faith and, thus, are not saved.

2. We practice foot-washing before communion.

3. We believe Ellen G. White was a prophet.

4. We believe in a Seventh-day Sabbath instead of a first-day sabbath.

5. We don't wear jewelry.

6. We believe Jesus entered the Most Holy Place of the Heavenly Sanctuary in the year 1844 and started judgment. As soon as He completes judgment, He will return.

7. We reject the doctrine of a rapture.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 7:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• 8. We believe you don't go to Heaven or hell when you die. You are simply dead until the return of Christ. When Christ returns, the righteous dead will be raised and meet Him in the clouds, followed by the righteous living. Then, there will be a big earthquake that kills the wicked living. We will be in Heaven for 1000 years, while Satan is alone on the earth. Following the 1000 years, the New Jerusalem will descend to the earth and the wicked dead will be raised. Satan will convince them to attack the city and fire will reign from Heaven and kill them. This is what the Bible calls hell. After this, we will inherit the earth for eternity.

Sorry for the two posts. There wasn't enough room in the first one.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 7:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I was a pentecostal. The beliefs the congregation I belonged to were different from the UPC or whatever the main body is called. 1. The rapture was preached 2. They believed in the baptism in the name of jesus with the evidence of speaking in tongues (some thought that was a heaven/hell issue others didn't)  3.  There were no standards of dress, well ya dressed modestly but women could wear pant and make up and jewlery.  4.  Another thing I remember was they didn't believe in the trinity. 

I don't remember all the verses that were used to explain the beliefs or customs.  This was a great question.  Thanks for posting :-)

anklebitr

Answer by anklebitr at 11:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I'm sorry I didn't even answer the question. I think there are so many different denominations because everyone interpretes the bible differently.  But like cinnamon said, Most are the same on the core issues. 

anklebitr

Answer by anklebitr at 11:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2009