Should i vaccinate my kids?

We're trying to decide if we should vaccinate our kids for the flu-either kind. I'm leaning against it because my kids have severe reactions to the flu vaccines, and their reactions get worse with each passing year. After the horrible, horrible reaction my DD had last year i'm dead set against it. But my DH thinks maybe they should get it as my DD has asthma and our DS has RAD. Half the doctors say yes get it and the other half say absolutely not because of their reactions.

No bashing please! Just a polite yes or no will suffice. If you do choose to ellaborate keep it polite please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Health

• My husband got it (mostly because the army made him but he still wanted it). I however am not getting it and neither is my son. I don't believe in it. You have more of a chance getting in a car accident then dying of the flu. Plus why would you make your kid sick just to try to avoid getting them sick. Their reactions to the flu shot is a fact it will happen, but them getting the flu and dying thats not a fact so why take the risk. Thats my opinion.
    Anonymous

• No!!! Especially with a history of reactions, they should not get it!! I am very surprised you have doctors recommending it even with their known history.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Not trying to be a smart aleck here, but they are your kids and only you can make that choice.
    Anonymous

• What types of reactions do they have? If they have bad reactions like breathing problems, balance issues etc than DO NOT give them the vaccines. If they have a mild headache, rash at the injection site or slight cold symptoms well that's pretty normal. It really depends on the types of reactions they have. I know its still hard to decide, kinda like damned if you do or damned if you don't.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I truly agree with the anonymous person stating that they are your kids and you should make that choice. My kids have not gotten the flu shot and I don't believe they will get it anytime. They haven t had it before and they have never had the flu.
    luvelymommy

Answer by luvelymommy at 1:19 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I plan on getting my kids vaccinated. A healthy second grader in our school district just died of swine flu. 10% of the children in our huge school district has had swine flu.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 1:26 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• The reaction history is alarming. The new h1n1 vac is not well tested. If I were in your shoes, I'd be too afraid of something that has a history of harming my children. Do they have a history of hospitalization due to the flu? Has the flu been serious for them in the past? If the vaccine has a history in your family of being dangerous and the flu virus does not, the choice is clear.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• They have reactions, I'd have to say "no" asthma or not. (assuming you mean the kids with asthma have the reactions)

My kids have asthma and get the flu vaccines...but they don't have any reactions to the shots.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• If they have bad reactions then I would not be getting them
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I vacinate myself and my son....for both h1n1 and seasonal, but if your kids have severe reactions to them I wouldn't vaccinate them!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2009