how to get them off your back?

How would you get your mom off your back about prenatals and strollers and freaking everything under the sun when you're pregnant? And what if she starts bringing your SO into it?
It's too annoying!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Same boat.

We don't take her calls right now. She's actually lost her mind at this point. For a little while we had kept her focused on shopping for books and developing the baby's library. Well, she finished that project.

I have tried to get her to stop sending the insanity medical articles: Mom please stop sending me doom and gloom articles about infant health. I CANNOT get stressed. It hurts the BABY when you send me those things.

I'm looking for a new project to assign to her. If she is focused on her project (like the library or furniture or repainting) then she is more busy and have less time to panic.

Good Luck!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I know how much that sucks!! As your mom she is trying to help. All moms think they need to help their daughters through parenting every single step of the way. Just explain to her that you appreciate her wanting to help you, but this is a learning experience for you and you want to try and figure it all out on your own. Tell her that if you have any questions she will be the first person you call, but until then, you just want to be a parent and do it yourself. If you dont set down rules now its not going to get any better, it will keep getting worse. Good luck!! And try to make her feel special everyonce and a while and call her with some random question, even if you already know the answer, she will feel like she is helping you and maybe that will get her off your back for a bit!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 1:51 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• She's excited! Just imagine if she wasn't there. Be happy she cares so much.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• When you figure it out let me know lol. I've been having some problems with my pregnancy and right now my mom/mil are texting and calling me about four or five times a day asking if I think I'm going to have the baby soon.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Nice way: "I know you are excited and appreciate all your advice, thank you -- but I've already made my decisions. I could use some help with X, though."

Not the nice way: "Look, I've already made my decisions I don't need any more advice."

Mean: Give a cross look and walk away while they are still talking.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2009