I need a plan of action for potty training my 3.8 year old!! He's not wanting to do it!

I am at wit's end and I need some suggestions on how to potty train my son, Mojo. He's a bright, smart, and VERY TALL 3 1/2 year old boy who can read simple words, ride a bike and wash the dishes by hand lol. He can go potty if he's asked but he puts up a huge fight and won't poop in the toilet. I tried the reward method but he started going in the bathroom and pretending to go.
I graduate from college in February and I already have a job working in a hospital lined up so he's right on track for preschool. But they won't take a child that old without him being potty trained. Does anyone have any suggestions??

RandiMojosmom

Asked by RandiMojosmom at 1:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If he poops in his pants or on the floor, make him clean it up. My son is not allowed out of the bathroom until he undresses, dumps the stink in the toilet, and gets dressed in clean clothes. I do make sure he and the floor are properly cleaned up, but he has to do the majority of the work. He even puts the dirty clothes in the washing machine. That has really helped us cut down on the "accidents."
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Maybe he's just not completely ready? For Catie, we kept taking her in there. I would always take her with me when I had to go, I'd have her sit on her potty while I went. Sometimes she would go, sometimes she would through a fit. A little patience with it is all you need. If she went, we would offer her a popsiscle or small piece of candy. One day, she told us she had to go potty, we took her in the bathroom, & she climbed up on the big potty & went. She still needs to be reminded sometimes because she gets so busy playing or into her movies that she doesn't want to stop. But we pause the show or let her take her toy with her so she can go potty. So far it seems to be working. Now, if we can get her to stop wearing a nighttime diaper for nap & bedtime we'll be set.
    Did you try the whole aiming for the cheerios deal?
    barnwell84

Answer by barnwell84 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• This is the best advice I was ever given,and the ONLY thing that worked. I took away all pull ups and told her you are a big girl and pull ups are gone. If you go in your pants you will have to change. I made it a pain in the butt when she had to go change too,like long ordeal. No more scolding,just consequenses for actions. Sure I cleaned a few messes but it worked within a week!!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Just take the diapers and pull-ups away completely (except at night). Take him every 1/2 hour or so the first day. The second day go longer, he'll feel it by then. Try to stay home for 3 days. It will work. A lot of positive reinforcement and character undies! Good Luck!!!!!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Do away with pull-ups or any other "training pants" that resemble diapers. I went straight to underwear with my son, and he literally trained in one day at 2 years and 10 months. Sure, I had to wash about 5 pair of underwear that day, but he trained immediately. good luck
    TRooney

Answer by TRooney at 9:44 PM on Nov. 17, 2009