Extra tax on those making over $500,000 agree?

Lawmakers also are looking at levying new taxes on insurance companies, drug companies and medical device makers. But the only approach that got majority support in the AP poll was a tax on upper-income Americans.

The House bill would impose a 5.4 percent income tax surcharge on individuals making more than $500,000 a year and households making more than $1 million.

The poll tested views on an even more punitive taxation scheme that was under consideration earlier, when the tax would have hit people making more than $250,000 a year. Even at that level the poll showed majority support, with 57 percent in favor and 36 percent opposed.

"You know, I mean, why not? If they have that much money, it should be taxed," said Mary Pat Rondthaler, 60, of Menlo Park, Calif. "It isn't the same way that the guy making $21,000 is."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091117/ap_on_bi_ge/us_ap_poll_health_taxes

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If there were a 10% flat tax, those making $500,000 would pay $50,000 while those making $21000 would pay $2100. Who would suffer most? Those making 21k would be down to 18.9 whereas those making 500K hae 450K in the end. Those who are poor get poorer and the gap widens. There is really no easy fix.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 1:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• So, because someone has worked hard and succeeded, they should have to pay extra? Not fair.
    Anonymous

• Nope, and I don't make near the $500,000 mark. Everyone should be taxed the same, Why should someone who works hard be punished with the tax when there are people out there who do not work at all and take from the system.

The taxes they keep imposing on wealthy americans is why so many look for loop holes to not pay the tax. If they made it fair to all then everyone is responsible.
    Anonymous

• You know, eventually those footing the bill will leave. Then what will we do?

http://lighthousepatriotjournal.wordpress.com/2008/02/16/myth-blaster-lesson-on-how-the-tax-system-works/

Anonymous

• Last I heard that was struck down, and that they want to push it through for people making more than $250,000 per year. Right now, I have to pay that tax (AMT) because we make more that $100k. I am fine and dandy with them moving it to the $250,000 crowd (since they ALREADY pay it). Most of the small businesses owners are under the $250 mark and it would allow us to expand business wise if we didn't have to pay an additional 10%.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 1:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• But you can mark a poverty line, which is totally appropriate. However, after the current taxes the people that make $21,000 are already paying more than those with the $500 (income ratio) because of deductions, shelters, off shore accounts, etc.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 1:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Anyone that supports this surtax must not want to be employeed. It takes a real set of idiots to place additional tax burdens on those that provide the most jobs.

Personally, I won't pay it. I will scale back or close altogether. I am sick and tired of my biggest business problem being my own government.

People should be ENCOURAGED to succeed, not punished because they did.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• But this isn't a new tax, it just changes where the tax starts at.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Those people already pay 80 percent of all tax revenue collected seems a bit harsh to penalize them for doing well. My dad business pulls in 800k a year his actual take home after expenses, salaries and health insurance for his employees is about 100k. It would hurt him very much as a single father. He has my three younger siblings at home still.
    Anonymous

• You know, eventually those footing the bill will leave.

Then let them leave, they pay for the privilege of living in America

Anonymous