Can a 3 1/2 year old be a compulsive liar or just a liar all the time?

My kid lies to me all the time and says some weird things to me and alot of other people like her teacher. she says the dog ate her pencil and i told her she was a liar because we do not own a dog. the only dog we have is a fake victoria secret doll you sometimes get for free at the store. of course im going to be called some bad mom because i called her a liar but that to me is not being rude or mean. she just lies alot and i dont like it. how do i stop her from lying? if i asked her if she made her bed she lies. if i ask her if she picked up or helped clean with her sister she says yes when its no. at the end she stands there starring at her sister or at me and does not help clean because she thinks she doesnt need too like she owns this house or something.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• lol getting the truth as kids grow. No kid likes to do chores very much. Try giving a reward of a penny or a nickel or a different sticker on a "Choice" board for every single honorable answer small or large. That could focus on truth rather than overemphasizing in dd eyes untruths she's accused of.

The "Choice" board (or another name indicative of choices we make as kids and as we grow ...to do chores or play and then to lose play cause chores not done, same with homework, meals, bedtime, etc. The Board can have a different sticker in the face of a smile,a letter to spell a secret word ...winner being the winner who chooses next word to spell ...I did w/my 3 kids and they loved it. What also helped is when I gave them the different choices to choose themselves, said very firmly but very calmly -----make bed now,afterwards have free time til kitchen timer dings or free now til ding but if bed not made then, then punish.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Give her a break, she is 3. They all go through weird little stages. She will over come it soon, help her along. Tell her that lying is really wrong and that if you tell the wrong lie to the wrong person that it could cause horrible problems. Tell her lies hurt feeling and make people believe things that aren't true.
    But don't act like you think she thinks she owns your house, it is her house too and she is still very very young, give her some slack.
    Anonymous