I am having a problem with my 10 year old son peeing in his room at night.

He's not wetting the bed cause it is always in the corner near the bed. I have tried to talk to him about it and he will not admit to doing it. He says maybe he did but has no memory of it. I have a few people in my family that sleep walk and i think that possible he is doing this in his sleep. I have no idea what to do about this or how to stop it. I am looking for any advice please.

Bellz1024

Asked by Bellz1024 at 1:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• OMG...I used to do this. And it wasn't until I realized how GROSS it was that I stopped. Explain to him how yucky it is, and how his friends won't want to come into his room to play because it smells. I'm not kidding. The bathroom was right next to my room, but I didn't care! it was so much easier to pee in my room. Gross I know!
    Anonymous

• My little brother used to pee in the sink because it was easier at night lol. If he's doing it in hs sleep then you can't stop it, you'll just have to put something down. If he's awake, though, then discouragement, punishment and embarrassment might work. lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Put a bucket there?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I know this might sound crazy, but can you set up a video camera to see when it's happening. It could be sleepwalking or something like that. When did it start? Is there something going on that may have triggered this new behavior (move, divorce, problems at school, new relationship with a parent, etc.)?
    Anonymous

• Put a bucket in the spot he is peeing. Make him clean it up.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:14 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• It is something that some kids do in their sleep. My brother did it while he sleptwalk. In his dream, he was using a toilet. He was so embarassed about it. I think he was in the neighborhood of 8 when this was going on. My parents took him to a hypnotherapist. Not sure how helpfu THAT is, but it stopped. I'd check with a doctor, because it isn't a common problem, but it isn't unusual, either.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• You need to set your alarm to get you up every two to four hours to check on him if your room is not close by or you don't hear him up. Get him up and take him to the bathroom. Don't punish him for his behavior as he does not remember and it is not his fault.  My brother use to sleep walk and never remembered anything. My Mom would hear him and would speak to him calmly  to redirect him back to his room.  Keep a diary of the times that he gets up and what his day was like to see if there is somehing that triggers him to sleep walk. You should also cut him off of water several hours before bedtime.  My brother grew out of this behavior but we found that he was too busy during the day which caused him to sleep walk at night.  You should schedule an appointment to see his Ped. Physician and address the issue.

delmarnative

Answer by delmarnative at 12:27 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I would talk to the doctor.....try not to embarrass him too much or punish him, especially if you think he may be sleepwalking or really not know what he is doing. Once you find out whether or not this is intentional behavior you can address it in a more appropriate way. Is he uncomfortable about it? Do you believe he doesn't know? I think this is a medical and/or psychological issue rather than a discipline issue.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:29 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• He may be doing it in his sleep. Ona couple of occassions, my guy has wandered into the bathroom at night and tried to pee in the sink instead of the toilet. He was still pretty much asleep and both times suddenly realized what he was doing. Unfortunately he didn't realize he was in the wrong spot when he peed on some towels on the bathroom floor one night. He may just be sleepwalking or possibly just not all the way awake and somewhat disoriented. I had a grown male friend who would sleepwalk and pee him his closet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Both of my sons did this. Of course, they eventually stopped. I think they were scared to leave their rooms to use the bathroom, but I never really found out.
    RunninRagged64

Answer by RunninRagged64 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2009