Do you agree with a flat tax?

I certainly do. I support a 10% flat tax across the board. I am fine with a poverty level that doesn't pay. But I love flat tax, no deductions, nothing.

The ONLY problem I see with that is that charities would take a hit, since most donate large sums in order to reduce their tax debt.

However, it will never happen, our government is too bureaucratic .

urkiddingright

Asked by urkiddingright at 1:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I would love any new tax code that was as simple as that!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I agree with it completely.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I totally agree with it. I think everyone should pay, including lower income. I just personally know of too many people who claim to be at the poverty level but buy high end electronics and clothing. As much as people say the wealthy hide their money I think some of those who claim poverty also hide their money.
    Anonymous

• No, I don't.  It creates an unequal burden on those with lower incomes.    The $2,000 in taxesto a person making $20,000 a year "costs" more than the $20,000 in taxes "costs" a person making $200,000.    The person with a lower income may have trouble EATING, where as the person with the higher income may have to buy a Coach purse instead of a Versace.

While I don't agree with overtaxing the wealthy, a flat tax over taxes the poor. 

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 1:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I have a problem with the flat tax. I would have to pay tax on my entire income without consideration of business expenses. I wouldn't be able to keep the doors open and neither would a lot of other businesses. Gosh, employee salary would be taxed twice, once when I pay income tax and once when the employee does.

A large portion of businesses are "mom & pop" or sole proprietorship, this would crush them. I don't think we should be forced into incorporating either, a whole new set of taxes there!

I do believe everyone should pay something because that is fair. I like the idea of a flat tax, I just don't see how it can help without hurting.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Bezu, but my argument is that the people making $21,000 are already paying higher than the $500k (income ratio) because of their shelters and deductions. And it would be possible to adjust a poverty line wiith COLA. And the current poverty level is $29,140 for a family with 2 people in it.

www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/medi.../FPL%20Chart%20for%20PE.pdf
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 1:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• But I don't believe in a flat tax for businesses (the one way I see that Charities could win) and you could do an LLC, in stead of incorporating, and deduct in that manner. :)
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 1:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I believe in the flat tax but a lot would have to be done, but not on businesses and I think that all religious organizations should be have to pay taxes just like any other business except on charitable deeds.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 2:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I am for the Fair Tax not the Flat Tax.
    Anonymous

• Thanks urkiddingright! I like the idea a lot, the taxing salaries twice just really peeves me though!!! :) I think they could make some adjustments for sole proprietorships.

We don't want to incorporate, at least not here. My state hates corporations! They tax them out the wazoo and have just upped the taxes for this next year...then the feds get their share!

I just think the government should have to do what the people do when money is tight...CUT BACK!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:18 PM on Nov. 17, 2009