ugh!! costs of birthday partys!! please help!

my son's 3rd birthday is on the 29th. his daddy is deployed and will miss his birthday for the first time ever! we were unable to have a real party last year with icecream, friends, and family so this year (since we are with family and his dad is gone) i wanted to make his party special. BUT our income is limited and im trying to figure out how to cut costs and still make this a special day for him. i will add a list of how much i am spending on what and maybe you ladies can help me if you dont mind. please help? anyone have any ideas??

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• cake-$20.00, table cover-$3.50, loot bags (16 ct)-$6.00, treats (16ct)-$20.00, streamer-$2.00, big balloon-$3.00, reg. balloons-$1.00, pinata-$20.00, bat-$5.00, chips/icecream/candles-$10.00, plates/cups/napkins-$10.00, drinks-$5.00
    total-$105.50!!
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 1:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• make the cake for him, that will def cut costs and do party favors from dollar tree where you can get packs of them really cheap. kids don't need anything big and bright, they're pretty happy with a gathering and candles on the cake. he wont remember his mom couldn't afford a petting zoo! he'll just remember the firetruck or whatever and cake and icecream!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Ways to save:
    Make the cake. YOu can get a cake and icing for $3, buy littel figures to put on it or just get a tube of icing and write happy birthday and put sprinkles on it. Instead of loot bags one year i got paper lunch sacks and put each kids name on them and decorated them with stickers of the theme of the party and used a hole punch and tied curling ribbon on them. When the pinata broke i passed them out and they filled them with candy and cheap goodies from the pinata. For drinks you can make tea and lemonade but it may not save much.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I'd say don't do the pinata. Loot bags and pinatas is a little much. You could do a movie theme. I've done that before. You could bake the cake yourself. I always bake my kids cakes. My son's birthday is tomorrow. We are having his party at the bowling alley. The only thing I need to bring is the cake. Little kids don't care much about big parties, having friends over, and cake and presents make them happy.
    My husband is deployed, too. He was here for his birthday, but gone for mine, and our 3 kids. If you wait until payday to have the party, you should be a little better off with money, right?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I agree on make your own cake. Or you could make cupcakes & a small cake for the candles. That is what I did this yr for my daughter who turned 3. I made 2 dozen cupcakes & one little 8 in round one with her name on it in icing & her #3 candle. She loved it. We bought decorations at the dollar store. Even the candle cost a dollar. I would buy birthday themed plates but only one pack & buy a big pack of the foam plates to fill in. Also would only buy one pac of napkins. I'd say forget the cups too. Just use what cups you have. I used a tablecloth I already had. She was just thrilled at the cupcakes & cake & the presents.
    I have older kids as well & recently asked them what is the first b-day they really remember & the consensus with all three of them was their 5th birthday.
    Anonymous

• yeah...i just feel so bad. i want to give him the birthday party that i never had as a child. i guess i went a little overboard..lol i have a tendency to do that. my husbands deployment was very last minute-they told him 3 weeks before he had to leave. we had a birthday party planned and everything ready and now im starting all over! this is just so frustrating! normally my husband does all the finances and pays all the bills while i maintain the home, cook the food, and take care of him and our son. now im taking care of everything! i wish we would have split things better because now i feel like im trying to learn about budgeting while im paying the bills and everything that goes with it...we got married really young and i never had any experience before this! im sorry i guess i needed to vent a little. im just so overwhelmed!!!
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 2:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I'd skip the piniata and bake the cake ;) also you can get stuff at the dollar store-but these have all been mentioned :)
    he is 3 and won't remember it all anyhow :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• You can make it a special day without spending gobs of money on a party that he'll barely remember. Make his cake yourself. Make him a special meal (with a few family members invited if you want), his favorites. Do something special with him (zoo, park, something he likes but you don't normally do), just spend the day with him. No need to go all out just because daddy's gone. I'd be more inclined to keep it low-key but special and save a bigger party for when daddy's home, that way daddy doesn't feel left out either.
    Anonymous

• A fun activity is to do cup cakes and let the kids decorate them with some inexpensive candies.  If you are having a pinata you don't really need treat bags, just let them fill up their bags from they pinata.  Also check out the 99cent store or dollar tree for the cups and stuff like that.  I also use 2 liter sodas rather than cans they are way cheeper, especially if you get shasta rather than coke or pepsi. 

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• For my daughters 3rd birthday we had family over. She helped make the mud cake. Ran around with her cousins, watched her favorite movie. Ate mud, opened her presents and loved every min. of it.  I would say you don't have to do more then cake and ice cream at a park with friends and family.  He is to young to know about all the rest, so you could skip the goody bags.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2009