What's a good entree substitute for a single member of the family who is a vegitarian on Thanksgiving?

I don't want to give her pasta because it's too filling on top of the other foods she can eat and I don't want to give her tofu. Any other ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I am vegetarian and I never make a substitute entree. There is so much to eat!! I always used to laugh (I hope no one is offended at this... I mean it in a lighthearted way...) when people said "You're vegetarian? What do you eat for Thanksgiving?" I was like, um, well, sweet potato casserole and mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce and green bean casserole and rolls and olives and pickles from the relish tray and and and...
    I would just ask her - maybe she will be happy with "just" the sides, like I am! :o)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Ask her. I always throw a salmon steak in the oven for my sister because she doesn't eat meat. Maybe all the sides are enough.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:09 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• make a single serving mushroom and lentil "meat" loaf. you can also make one for the whole family to serve as a side.

Toss some mushrooms and walnuts in the food processor, mix in with lentils, nutritional yeast, and bread crumbs and seasonings. Mash it into the loaf pan or in an individual ramekin for a single serving. If you are making your gravy veggie, that would be awesome on top.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Stay away from tofurkey; it is nasty. I have an awsome stuffed tofu recipe; send me a message offlist if you would like it.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• when I was a vegetarian I was happy with just the sides! my aunt made a killer green bean casserole!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• lol mompam, you made a salmon steak since your sis doesnt eat meat? lol perhaps you meant "doesnt eat RED meat?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Veggie lasagna,Tofurkey, fish or chicken if they eat those
    Anonymous

• Tofurkey isn't nasty if you know how to make it, I love it and would be happy with that but would also be happy with just the side options.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 6:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Owlfeather: SALMON is fish, not red meat.

OP: Ask the relative and see if they even need an entree. They may be ok with all the yummy sides that are served at Thanksgiving.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• my daughter wants us to get a tofurkey. We all laughed at her. We make plenty of sides so thats what she's having.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 18, 2009