How broke have you been?

Tell me how low was your lowest low? What did you live off of when you were that broke? How did you make it? Alot of people are having a financially trying time- what can we do to keep things breathe-able?

annaica

Asked by annaica at 2:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• When I was 20 I was homeless. I was penniless when I went to the shelter. Only had two suitcases and that was it. I didn't have a cellphone, cable, Internet (computer) or any of the luxuries our very poor today still manage to have. I was actually poor. I found someone to stay with and got a job using her address. I went to school using student loans. It took me a few years but I graduated with my Master's and passed the CPA test. I have my own firm now. I did not date during the time I was bettering myself and did not have any children. I did not want to stay in poverty and knew having children in my position would make things worse. I am happily married, have a great job, wonderful home and the best kids a mom could want. I was older but it was worth the wait. Anyone down on their luck can come out of it if I could.

Anonymous

• The lowest I have ever been is now. Both my DH and I got laid off, so we got in debt real bad. My DH finally found 2 minimum wage jobs and I can't find one. We live paycheck to paycheck. In fact, we make $700 less than our bills a month. And that doesn't include, groceries, gas, ect. Creditors are calling us all the time. Our phones have been cut off before, our electricity has been cut off, they have tried to repo our car multiple times and we've begged them not to and just take any money we have even though its not a full car payment. We haven't paid our mortgage for the past 4 months. I used to have a great credit score and have a great savings account until I got laid off. In fact, I had bought my 1st house at age 21. So, yeah what can we all do to stay breathable? I just keep having hope that one day something will give and I'll find a good job...
    Anonymous

• we were so broke at one time that we only had enough money to feed the kids. every now and then my dh and i would be able to share one chicken leg. sometimes he wouldnt eat it just so that i could. we only had one tv, no cable, the tv was a gift. I only had 2 shirts and 2 pairs of pants and one pair of shoes. i had a part time job making $4.25/hr and i only worked 2 days a week 4-5 hrs per day. since we both worked we werent eligible for public assistance, but we were able to get health ins. for the kids through a govt program. we eventually couldnt keep up with rent and bills and had to move to moms small apartment. We didnt complain and just kept trying to better ourselves and make more money because we knew that there were people worse off than us.
    Anonymous

• Right now my husband and I are at our lowest. We are over 300,000 in debt in school loans and we have 15,000 in credit card debt, and we have personally borrowed 17,000 from family. This is what happens when you don't have family that can afford to help you through college. Now days you need a degree to get anywhere in life. We got married in college. Lived together off student loans which doesn't cover summers = credit card debt. He is in medical school and we had to pay an extra 40 grand for 2 yrs because we lived 10 miles outside the official border. Now I have my bachelors and he is a few short months from becoming a doctor. However since we had our son I graduated so I'm not bringing in any loans and I had to quit my job to watch our son. We qualify for food stamps and health coverage through the state. When it comes down to it we'll be able to pay everything down and live well. It's called opportunity cost.
    Anonymous

• The last two weeks is the most broke we have been since DH changed jobs. We have had several things come up, we're paying medical bills, our youngest has a protein allergy and requires special food, the list goes on. And to make matters even worse, the raises at DH's job were frozen a year ago and all overtime has been suspended, which is odd because two other employees are doing their level best to keep getting it even after the word came not to. If that keeps up, the company will keep everyone at only 30 hours per week which we cannot live on. As it was we were stretching our budget buying food we could make enough of to eat leftovers, I only get out when I absolutely have to to save gas, we buy generic whenever possible, we buy clothes out of season and make our own laundry detergent. Now I don't know anymore. We finally had to break down and apply for WIC. At least we have that.
    Anonymous

• When I was 23 I had a baby and was single. I can remember being so hungry that I would have to eat baby food because that was all that I had in the house. I also potty trained my daughter early because I couldn't afford diapers. I worked in restuarants which was great because some of them would actually give you a free meal when you worked so I was sure I would eat at least once a day. and like the first anon poster I also didn't have cable, cell, internet etc. We REALLY lived with the bare minimum and I worked hard, did without and saved. Bought my first home at 27. I know people are having a hard time with finances right now but I think they really need to look at giving up some things. So often when someone says that they are struggling I say "give up the cable, cell, tanning, getting nails done" and often the response to any or all is "well that isn't that expensive" But add it all together and it is......
    Anonymous

• i was a single parent with my daughter on my own at age 19.we had no money to heat or light our flat.the electric would go off and we'd just have to be cold.I had no help whatsover from anyone.The old lady who lived downstairs would offer to dry our clothes on her heaters in the winter for us. its a good job i had anorexia at the time as i could only really afford for one of us to eat.It was really bad on Birthdays as there was so little i could afford to get my daughter,i felt so guilty.One Christmas a man down the road was kind enough to donate us a Christmas tree.It lasted the day then went on the fire to get us some heat for Boxing Day.My daughter laughs when i tell her about that now.Burning your Christmas tree is a bit desperate!
    daisycat78

Answer by daisycat78 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• We are at our loswest now,but it does not even feel like it. Our mindset is different than it used to be so it felt like we were at our lowest prior to now.

But financially we are at our lowest because we dont depend on normal means of income.

God is great, just when my husband needs a sale in his business God brings it.

The part that makes it seem so bearable and a pleasure is that we are actively seeking ways to be positive, in order to atrrack good things, such as opportunity and money.

Networkrhing is key not only to business but to FINDING A JOB TOO!

I've never had a problem finding a good job lead that led to being hired on the first application entry with networking.

Emma Weekly

SuccessPreneur

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 4:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• The brokest we ever were,was when dh and I first married....both were laid off,couldnt pay the rent,utilities got cut,no care etc...then we both finally got jobs and we climbed out of the hole..we vowed never to go there again...we didnt have a child at that time either.
    Nattiesmom9603

Answer by Nattiesmom9603 at 4:51 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Now. Right Now. 12 yrs into marriage and 4 kids.

Our van is gone. We turned it in last night so the "repo man" didn't have to come find us :( Not as bad as some. But right now I feel like we won't recover?!

Our credit is shot and we have no savings!
    Anonymous