Pierogies instead of treat plate? Good idea? Also help with a poem or saying to give out with them! (also posted in F&D)

So after years and years of putting it off.......last month I attempted to make my own Pierogies with MUCH SUCCESS! OMG, they were so good and so EASY! I had memories of my grandmother slaving over them for hours with my Aunts and Mom and that had discouraged me for years from even trying! STUPID ME!

Anyway, I thought that it would be fun to give out bags or boxes of pierogies (frozen with directions for preparing) for Christmas instead of treats. 1st of all, I'm trying to be healthier and don't want to eat 1/2 the treats I make. 2nd, it's different and I thought it would be a cool thing to take around instead of cookies and fudge etc.

Feeling totally UNcreative today, not to mention I have a headache from Hades! Can any of you think of a cute little saying or poem or something to include with the pierogies?? Much Thanks!

Nika

Nika75

Asked by Nika75 at 2:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Holidays

• Not a clue about a saying but would you be will to share your recipe??
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I would love to share! I actually adapted it a little from a recipe from Rachel Ray. The only thing I changed was the type of cheese and I used grilled onions instead of chives. Start to Finish....boiling the potatoes and making the dough, to finished product took me about 2 hours. I made around 40 and this was on my own. Another hour and I probably could have banged out 100 or more. With help you could really make a huge batch!

1 pound baking potatoes, peeled and quartered - one or 2 large potatoes or 4 small ones
    1 stick (4 ounces) plus 2 tablespoons butter
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    Salt and pepper
    2 3/4 cups flour, plus more for dusting
    1 large egg
    1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
    sliced onions

cont.................
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 3:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I don't care for them but I am sure someone will. I would prefer sweets.
    Anonymous

• Directions:
    1.In a small pot of boiling salted water, cook the potatoes until fork-tender, drain. Mash with 2 tablespoons butter, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the cheddar cheese. Original recipe calls for 3/4 of a cup of cheese......I use 2 cups! You want your potatoes to be orange!

2.In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Make a well in the center of the flour, add the egg and sour cream and stir into the flour. If it seems a little dry and won't mix add a little more sourcream. Let the mixture rest for 10 minutes, then transfer to a work surface and knead until a smooth, stiff dough forms. (I was lazy and put it in my kitchen aid with the dough hook!)

Cut the dough into quarters, wrap each in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes or so.

(cont)...........
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• 4.On a floured work surface, working with one-quarter of the dough at a time, roll out each piece into an 11-inch circle. Using a 4-inch biscuit cutter, cut the dough into rounds. Place a tablespoon of potato filling slightly off center on each circle. Moisten the edge, fold the dough over the filling and press the edges firmly to seal.

5.In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pierogi, about 9 at a time, for 5 to 7 minutes.

Saute onions in butter, put pierogies in with the onions and butter until the outsides start to get browned. Serve with the sauted onions on them.

ENJOY!!!!
    Nika75

• sounds delicious! I would like those!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Thanks So Much For Sharing My DH family is Polish so I would love to surprise him one day by making these. =)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:57 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• No problem! They were so easy! I just laid the ones we didn't eat right away out on a cookie sheet, froze them and bagged them up. Don't thaw them before you boil them...just stick them in the water frozen. It only takes an extra couple minutes to boil them from frozen.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2009