Should Religious Organizations Pay Tax

I am not sure how it works but as I understand religious organizations do not pay taxes. So I am wondereing why? I am an Atheist so why do I have to support churches and such, I understand the charitable part and that can be tax exempt. As for when they build or buy items and all income should be taxed like any other business IMO, in the end they are a business right. Do pastors and such pay taxes on their incomes?

PsychMommie

Asked by PsychMommie at 2:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Churches do pay taxes on any income that goes beyond their charitable donations. Just like the rest of America, they can claim charity as well. Pastors are paid AND taxed.

Your tax dollars do not support the church the church is supported by the people of the church.

I think the REAL question here would be should ALL non profit organizations religious or not be taxed.

it seems to me there is a little discrimination going on here.

Anonymous

• My pastor is paid a salary from the church and yes, is taxed on that salary. I do not personally agree with taxing a church, as they operate as a non-profit, as many charities do....but what would happen when if they were taxed on the money taken in through the church, would there be charitable deductions that would nearly wipe out all of the income and it would essentially be a wash?
    Anonymous

• The church itself is not a business of bying and selling, although what we see on tv is way different lol. I understand that most pastors are paid form the tithes, and that the tithes go for missionary work and the maintainence of the church and it's bills like electricity and water usage trash. It is a member supported organization is the best way I can put it.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Your tax dollars don't go to support churches. Churches and other non-religious organizations that are non-profit can be tax exempt.

I wonder why people want the gov't to tax us more!!! Why should the government take money from a non-profit organization that is a support to the community?
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Hell yeah! They need to pay taxes just like the rest of America. The Church is definitely a business. The pastors sell the "word of God," and in return ask for prayer offerings, funding, tithes, general offerings, and even pastor offerings!

how do they put it? You have to sow the seed of God in order to reap the benefits of his blessings. Those are all code words. The church provides a service to people and it makes a financial profit = business.

The thing that most ppl fail to realized is that the Church is government owned.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 3:26 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• "Hell yeah! They need to pay taxes just like the rest of America. The Church is definitely a business. The pastors sell the "word of God," and in return ask for prayer offerings, funding, tithes, general offerings, and even pastor offerings!"

Sugah-- the pastor does get taxed for his income. But everything else goes to support the community and the members and the government should have no right to that. Maybe in your experience you felt it was a business. But you don't pay for prayer, Bible studies, etc. You don't have to pay at all. It is a volunary donation that goes to supporting members of the community who fellowship there in there faith. C

hurches are not heaping up profits, especially during our economic crisis. People don't have much to tithe and people are coming in for financial help. Most churches are giving out more than they receive. So technically we are helping the government.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• "the Church is government owned"

?

I have never heard someone say that before. Can you explain why you believe that?
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Religious and non-religious organizations are tax-exempt alike. Non-profit status can enable an entity to qualify for tax-exemption, regardless of religious affiliation or lack thereof, if they meet certain qualifications that fall under the non-profit realm. The reason being to reduce the costs of an organization that is not making a profit in traditional terms. Profits made are to further the cause and/or to provide certain charitable or otherwise helpful services to the community. Without non-profit charities, the government would absolutely collapse under the pressure of the services that need to be provided. Did you know that 1/4 of all medical and AIDS related care provided to Africa somes from the Catholic Church alone? I believe 1/3 of all homeless and children's programs as well as $10 Million in funding per year in Washington D.C. comes FROM the Catholic Church alone?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• (cont.) You're not giving any of your tax dollars to these entities. That's not what tax-exempt means.

The point behind the "No Tax-exempt status for religious entities" movement is to punish churches and religious organizations for lobbying for political causes--such as the story recently published by the Washington Post where Catholic Charities threatened to close down its homeless and children's programs if the current Homosexual Rights initiatives for the cities went into effect. People were in an uproar wanting to pull their tax-exempt status because of it. I support that aspect of the movement, not "punishing" them with tax-exempt status--that's silly. I do not think that religious values should be in the law, moral values? Yes. Values reflecting ONE organization's views? No. No, I'm not gay but my rights as an adopted adult are lobbied against by religious organizations every day and it SUCKS!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Pastors are taxed on income - true, but we are talking about the church as a whole. the laws make is easy for pastors to report inaccurate numbers.

I will be glad to elaborate on what I mean, I will pm you cinn. In the mean time you should do some searching on line and at the library. Its a fact that gets over looked, b/c of religious debate.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 4:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2009