I am 25 weeks pregnant and I just started a new job about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Only 2 people there know I am pregnant. I am worried about telling my boss that I'm pregnant. It's kind of hard to hide it because I keep getting bigger. How should I tell them?

I am due March 2nd.

PrettyMomma24

Asked by PrettyMomma24 at 2:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i did the exact same thing with my 2nd child. even though your affraid you have to tell them because your going to need the maternity leave. one thing you should know is it is not legal for them to fire you due to pregnancy.although i did wait till my probationary period was up to tell them because they dont have to have a reason to fire you before the end of that.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Legally, you don't have to tell them. Like the PP said, wait until your probationary period is over first, and then inform them that you will need time off for medical reasons.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:44 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Absolutely! In a month or so, I would suggest wearing something that shows off the belly a bit. This way, it is known without it being said. Then, management can start making arrangements for coverage. They'll probably just ask you when you are due.
    texasmommy69

Answer by texasmommy69 at 2:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Make sure that when you tell them, you present them with your plan to transition your current work, and how you plan to transition back from your maternity leave.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I found out I was pregnant about two weeks after I accepted a job. I had planned on waiting to tell my new boss, but I had to get a TB test and was waiting to find out if I could or not, and she kept calling me asking why I hadn't gotten the test yet. But she was very understanding. Just be warned, since you will not be there for a year when you go on leave, you probably won't qualify for FMLA :( I found that out. Through the company I can take up to 60 days of unpaid of medical leave, but thats it, and during that time I have to pay my own insurance. And since I don't qualify for FMLA I have to work a minimum number of hours a week to keep my insurance unti l go on leave. (you're company may be different, but thats the experience I've had so far!) I don't think I would wait too much longer to tell them though. Congrats and good luck!
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Thank you for all your help. The place that I work at is a small food service establishment. They don't have any probationary period there but I really need this job. I wear an apron all day too so it is harder to tell how big I am. How much longer do you think I should wait to tell them?
    PrettyMomma24

Answer by PrettyMomma24 at 4:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Once you get a definite bump.....tighten your apron so it is obvious. It's natural. It will be OK:-)
    texasmommy69

Answer by texasmommy69 at 4:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• your boss is the first person that you should have told
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Nov. 18, 2009