Vegetarian Tacos?

Would you put vegetarian re-fried beans AND black beans on your vegetarian tacos? Or only one kind of bean?

-Faithful4ever

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Lentil tacos are my favorite! LENTIL TACOS
    Ingredients
    1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
    8 ounce can tomato sauce (or home made)
    corn tortillas (for fun, use a mix of white, yellow and blue)
    1 packet dry taco seasoning mix (or make your own with the recipe below)
    handful of textured soy protein, optional (I leave this out)
    lettuce (shredded)
    cucumber (seeded, peeled, sliced)
    tomatoes (chopped)
    lemon or lime wedges (optional)
    Directions
    Cover the lentils with water in a large saucepan. They expand tremendously so use a large pot. Add tomato sauce, textured soy protein, and taco seasoning. Bring to high heat until boiling. Simmer at low heat until the mixture thickens. Add more water if necessary
    and stir often so that the bottom does not burn. This process will take about an hour. You want to cook it until it's about the consistency of cooked oatmeal.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 2:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Taste the mixture and add more seasonings if necessary. Add more textured soy protein if you want more texture and continue to heat until the textured soy protein is fully hydrated. In the meantime, heat the corn tortillas in the oven, directly on the oven rack for about 5 minutes at 350 degrees. Assemble the tacos as desired. Squeeze the lemon wedges over the tacos... yum!!
    This recipes makes a large quantity and is very flexible with the garnishes. Experiment by adding chopped avocado, cilantro, onion, etc. I prefer these without salsa since the taco filling has so much flavor on its own. Enjoy!!
    Taco Seasoning:
    4.5 tsp. paprika
    1 tsp. cumin powder
    0.5 tsp. oregano
    1 tsp. chili powder
    1 tsp. onion powder
    0.25 tsp. lemon powder (optional)
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. sugar
    0.5 tsp. garlic powder
    1 tsp. flour
    0.5 tsp. cocoa powder
    Mix all together and store in airtight container. This mix is very mild, I add caye

Answer by rkoloms at 2:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I'd skip the refried beans, mash up the black beans a little bit and add taco seasoning to them. We rarely eat vegetarian here, but when we have something like tacos I make just a little bit of meat, semi-smash the beans with the meat, and season it all together. My family has no idea they're eating very little meat that way, and I think it tastes a lot better than refried beans to smash the black beans.
    Anonymous