there are fleas in the house and I see them on my cat

I gave him a bath last night but I didnt see any fleas flush away. does this mean the shampoo was crap? I find it impossible there just werent any fleas on him....

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Pets

• Dawn dish soap works better than any flea shampoo I have tried. If your cat will let you, coat her in baby oil for several minutes. Then wash out with Dawn. Use a flea comb to remove any remaining fleas. You need to treat your carpet & furniture as well either with a flea spray or with baby powder to suffocate them. Then vacuum.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:07 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i dont know whats going on this year but we cant get rid of them either and i spend 40$on the frontline every three months. i fogged my house and got yard spray and they are still rampid. if you figure it out let me know please!!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• i wish we could afford frontline but we can't. I bought the 6 month supply one year, and I still found flea dander on my cat (and you werent supposed to shampoo your cat while on frontline), but I didnt see any in the house. thankfully they are taking over the house, but my cat has cuts from scratching so much.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• i hear a lot about something as simple as diet change. I read how making your own cat food or buying the top quality store bought cat foods can reduce fleas!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• You might ask you vet if they sell Advantage or Revolution in singles. That might make it more affordable for you . A lot of vets have started doing that and it helps a lot of people. But you have to remeber to go back each month. Bathing in flea shampoo or dawn is not very effective because it only gets the fleas that are on them at the time it will not effect the ones in the environment. Stay away from the over the counter flea products and i would get one from the vet instead. that should take care of them but you will need to treat the cat for at least three months to get all of the fleas.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I went through the same thing with our cats. Frontline helped and then foggers didnt. We spent over $100 on foggers for a total of about 4 times to fog the house and ended up having to spend another $150 on orkin. No problems now. Dont waste your money on foggers.
    mrsmilander

Answer by mrsmilander at 3:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I don't know but try and flea comb and brush him with it and see if you get anything. Also i had fleas in my house and i have NO CLUE how they got here and I ended up having the bomb and they all went away.
    mommyziegler

Answer by mommyziegler at 4:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Boric acid. Sweep it into the carpets. Keep it away from children though. It works wonders.
    Anonymous

• well I hear great things about boric acid, but it would be hard to keep it out of childrens reach unless I did it while he napped. I'd still be nervous though!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Our poor animals are the same way...We've bathed them in different shampoos,put frontline on them and there are still fleas around...So we started using a flea comb&brushing them EVERY night-it's slowly getting rid of the fleas
    Cloud_Dancer09

Answer by Cloud_Dancer09 at 9:45 AM on Nov. 18, 2009