what are my chances of having a girl?

It's not 50%! Let me explain why- DH and I had sex on the 13th. That is it. My last period was Sept 30, but I've been very irregular so I don't know how long my cycle is. Well I am pregnant and I am measuring 6 weeks exactly today by the ultrasound (although by my lmp-which of course isn't 100% since it used a 28 day cycle- I'm 6 weeks, 6 days) so to my understanding, doesn't that mean that the sperm that fertilitzed my egg had to be there for quite a while? and since female sperm is the kind that live longer and we had sex only once, don't I have a really high chance at having a girl? I just don't see how any male sperm could have lasted that long? I'd be happy with whatever I got! I actually wish I had a more equal chance but maybe that's what you get for only trying one night!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• teehee, well shettles would definitely say you are more likely to have a girl.

but i read there is another theory that advises the exact opposite... can't remember what that one is called, and the reasoning behind it.

good luck!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:09 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• The sex of the baby is determined by the fathers side of the family. So lets say his mother and father only had boys but his grandfather only had girls. Then you will probably have a boy. So look at his side of the family and find a pattern. Like my husband is the only child hes a male his father was an only child hes a male. I have a child with my husband and hes a male.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• lol, i guess you will have to wait to find out....lol We tried for a girl (we have 3 boys), with the method of knowing the girl sperm last longer. We had sex two days after my period and that was it (he has to leave for work trip and was gone for a month). I was so upset because we were going to start trying in 2 weeks....lol We had a boy....i was so sure it was a girl too, because of the delay. Good luck
    54313MomOf4Boys

Answer by 54313MomOf4Boys at 3:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Yes sorry but it is a 50/50 chance....female sperm living longer and a million other little ways are nothing but old wives tales and unless your child is geneticaly engenereed to be a girl in a lab it's all a 50/50 chance!!!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• armywife is wrong imo
    Anonymous

• Not neccessarly ArmyWife. Granted, it is an old wives saying, but women have a play in it to. The chance can all depend on if a woman orgasms (boys thrive in either high/low acid levels...can't remember which one though). Also depending on how far from ovulation the woman was when they had sex (boys swim faster, but die sooner, girls swim slower and live longer).

My father is the oldest of 6, all boys. His father was the 3rd of 7, all boys. My dad had 1 boy and 2 girls (I was the first daughter in 3 generations). My brother now has 3 daughters and expecting his 4th any day. For some reason in our family it is either all girls/all boys (my brother is from a different mother)... I have all boys, my brother has all girls, and my uncles all have either all girls or all boys..lol
    54313MomOf4Boys

Answer by 54313MomOf4Boys at 3:18 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• i thought i should clarify that i do agree with armywife that the man decides it, but i disagree that the men in his family can predict what he will produce. men have both XX and XY sperm, and it depends on which one gets to that egg!
    Anonymous

• it's not 50/50, for every 103 boys that are born only 100 girls are born, it's a minute amount but in the end that means that a women has a larger choice over her mate for breeding in the human population
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• acually I heard it was the opposite of what you said. Male sperm lasts longer then female.
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 3:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• armywife..thats not true at all..my husband has ALL boys on his side..yet two girls here..so not true! my mom also had all boys..except me..so that does not have a thing to do with it! but the answer is....50/50! lol 14 more weeks and you will find out :)
    sunshine86912

Answer by sunshine86912 at 4:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2009