Shut up

My husband jokingly told me to shut up one day and my 21 month old over heard him so, now he says shut up. If I tell him no or try to discipline him he tells me to shut up. Just now I told him that we couldn't go outside and he started walking to his room turned around said shut up and closed the door. I've told him not to say shut up , and I've smacked the top of his hand and it doesn't work. Any other suggestions?

armywife2009101

Asked by armywife2009101 at 3:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• comletely ignore it. if he gets no reaction there will be no reason to say it.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• just ignore it and it will stop...eventually. if he doesn't get any response then there isn't any reinforcement and he will get bored with it and stop.

Oh yeah and you have to be careful not to say it anymore...thats the hard part lol
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Oh no! LOL Dont take it to hard. Just be consistant by sending him to his room.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I tell my 2 year old in a calm voice, Don't say that, that is not a nice word. Then I tell him if he says it again, he has to go to his room. Then if he says it again, he goes to his room! He hasn't said it in awhile so hopefully, it's working!
    Anonymous

• I tell my kids that that phrase, along with many others used in our home, are grwon up words. When they are grown ups they can say them to. Until then they get time out or at min. corrected. I rarely happens now with my son who is 5, not really past age 3, and is just beginning with my Daughter who is 2..
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• ignoring is the best possible thing you could do.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Sometimes I just give them a slightly smack on the lips saying no no don't say that when they say a bad word or spit...it works for us but I know i am not going to hear the end of it on this one.
    Anonymous

• Put his butt in time out each & every time consistently. Sorry I don't take talking back from my kids; that's where disresect as teens starts. Let them get away with little stuff now and it will quickly snowball out of control.

My oldest is 4 and she tells me No thank you - which still isn't always the correct answer. I didn't make you an offer; I asked you to pick up your toys; you're options are to pick them up now please or to go sit in time out; your choice.

Yup; I'm a hard-ass...
    Anonymous

• Tell him once that you are going to ignore him when he uses it. Then do it. Its no fun when he doesn't get a reaction from you. A time out isn't going to work. He is getting the attention he wants. Because, you need to explain to him why he is in time out and what you expect his appropriate behavior to be. Just ignore it.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 5:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2009