Nervous about twin delivery....

This is my 3rd pregnancy and I am having twins.... my other two (not twins) were delivered vaginally and everything went fine. But I know that there is a lot higher risk of c-section with a twin delivery and it scares me to death! I have never had ANY kind of surgery in my entire life and I honestly don't think I could handle a c-section... they would have to put me completely OUT because I would probably have an anxiety attack! LoL.

Anyway, I am only 8 weeks along right now ... but they will have to come out eventually and I can't stop worrying about it!

So, my question is ... how many of you have delivered twins and how did it go? Did you have complications that required c-section or did it go smoothly with a vaginal delivery???? I just want to know what other women have experienced so that maybe I can calm down and stop worrying so much! LoL.

JenMarie2007

Asked by JenMarie2007 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My twins were born at 37 weeks via c-section because they were both breech (no other complications). I was like you with a previous vaginal delivery and extreme anxiety about the c-section. From my experience i can tell you I was still talking to my doctor about the possibility of a vaginal with the twins at 34 weeks if they would turn, but by 36 weeks I really didn't care how they came out so long as they got out safely. The c-section and recovery weren't nearly as bad as I had imagined, though they did have to give me something for anxiety when I was in the recovery room because not being able to move or feel my legs really freaked me out (My 1st was natural, so I'd never even had an epidural). At this point you have plenty of time to research and prepare yourself for whatever happens. Join a group on CM for twin moms! Congrats & GL!

Anonymous

• my friend had twins, no problem she deliver then withing 20mts
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• well i don't have twins but i thought i'd answer anyway because if twin moms only answer you won't get many responses. ;)

i have a friend who had twins vaginally. she did have an epidural though. there is a video on youtube of naturally delivered multiples. ok here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E-wULAaD50

maybe that will increase your confidence. just try early to find a provider that you trust and that you know won't push interventions that might lead to c-section :)

also while i'm generally anti-c-section, i agree with you that in a minority of cases, they are necessary, and this is probably more likely with multiples than with single pregnancies. so it might also be a good idea to look into c-section and figure out a way to cope if it does happen to come to that, which i think most likely it will not. i have been looking into hypnobabies and am planning to try that, and i think some women use that for
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• c-section as well. so you could use that, and that way you would be prepared for vaginal or that chance of c-section, which i think is small if you have a good provider =)

gl!

my friend had her twins at 38 weeks, i think, btw
    Stefanie83

• i just thought i should add that i do have an online friend who wanted a natural delivery, but ended up with a necessary planned c-section. i can't remember exactly why, but she knew that c-section was the safest in her situation for her twin girls. i don't remember if it was positioning of the babies, or what.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My children were not twins--
    but I wanted to share with you that your risks for cesarean increase when you choose a surgeon for a provider. Simply hiring an OB increases your chances, whether you're having complications or not.

There are things you can do to decrease your chances, like hire a midwife. They attend twin births, breech vaginal births, breech twin vaginal births... Their cesarean rates can be 5%-10%. An OB will usually have a 30-50% cesarean rate.

When you investigate your options you can learn about how to better your chances for a more natural, safer, healthier, happier experience!

Good luck!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• You don't necessarily have to have a c-section unless there is a serious problem making vaginal delivery impossible.

Read and research carefully. (there are a couple of videos and links on my homepate and also on youtube you can search for waterbirth twins or natural twin birth to find the natural birth videos) There is no reason to go with surgery or to be coerced into surgery if there is no need in your situation. Twins can be birthed vaginally...even ones that are breech. Sometimes the second twin might be in breech position , but flips head down after the first twin is born.

Find the right provider. A midwife is more likely to have natural birthing twin experiences, but there are OBs who have done so. You just have to shop around to get what you want and don't settle.

Read everything you can get your hands on starting now!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2009