Have you ever counted how many words your kid can say?

There is a post about a 15 month old saying 30 words....but at no point in time did I actually COUNT the amount of words my son says. How could I? He (and most kids I know) spout off random words all the time (sometimes not even making coherent sense, but non the less saying actual words). There are words that he would say ONCE and then I don't recall ever hearing them again. that kind of thing...so am I the only one who has never counted the amount of words their kid can say?

ProudSingleMum

Asked by ProudSingleMum at 3:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I was thinking about doing it today right after i read that post your talking about. But I didnt......
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:18 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I didn't count with all of mine, but the last has a speech delay and when I couldn't tell the doctor for certain he could say 50 words at 2 years I started trying to count.
    Anonymous

• yes my daughter hardly said anything at 2. it really freaked me out so i counted there were 12, i took it to the pediatrician and it turned out she has speach and cognitive delays that needed intervention. she is now 3 and can speak almost as well as any other 3 year old i know.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:24 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• if i counted all the word dd said i would get bored. she says more 1000 that i know. she is 32 mts
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:26 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I used to keep track of the words they would say and when they added them for about a year after they started talking. My oldest was quite speech delayed and it helped us to track his progress - he had maybe 10 words at 2.5. My youngest was the opposite and began to talk at 9 months. I think I gave up once we came back from a trip overseas and certain words were bilingual, with his non-dominant lang. being the preferred word.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I kept track when he was a baby just because the dr used to ask, starting at his 6 month visit. He could only say about 20-25 words and two word sentences at that age but the dr was happy with that. I remember he was over 100 at his 12 month visit and the dr told me not to worry about counting after that because he clearly didn't have a delay.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Phrases at 6 months?
    Anonymous

• I take it that question was aimed at me anon:59. He started stringing words together at 5 months when he started saying "want milk" and after that he quickly added other phrases, mostly 'want' followed by another word and other phrases like "keen bum" which meant he wanted a diaper change. Mostly stuff he picked up from me asking question like "do you want milk?" or "do you need a clean bum?" Apparently I was the same way, I told everyone about the presents I got for my first birthday, so I guess it's partially genetic.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:24 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I did for awhile until they started adding too many words to keep track of. I just went back and checked my old journals and at 18 months my youngest knew about 40 words. She used to say some hilarious things.
    Actually, at 3 1/2, most of what she says is hilarious.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• i do, because my 16 month old has just started saying more than 4-5 words, there are new ones almost daily. i wouldn't be counting all the words my almost 5 year old says, she never stops talking.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 9:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2009