How do you decorate your tree?

Do you use mix-match stuff that has accumulated over the years or do you have all matching/coordinating decorations? What colors and types of decorations and lights do you use? Do you buy all new stuff every year or periodically?

I have used the same stuff for years (multi-colored flashing lights, wooden ornaments that looked like toys, and special ornaments accumulated over time), but the old stuff is starting to look a little shabby and too many pieces are broken. I'm considering buying new stuff this year - maybe blues and silvers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Holidays

• girl, go get you some new stuff and enjoy. ornaments are cheap, and Sam's had some really pretty stuff this year in matched sets that wasn't tacky.
    I usually do a different theme every year, a bit obsessed with Christmas I am. And I've had as many as 7 trees up.
    This year is vintage, pre 1960 ornaments in glass only with colored lights. It came out prettier than I thought it would.
    I've done, cowboy trees, mardi gras trees, natural, woodland, birds, candies, animal themed, kids themed, snowmen only, santas only, one year we did penguins and it was really cute, seaside, hunting, color only themes in gold and white, blue and silver, purple and red, a red green and gold plaid which was really really pretty, and one year we did just red bows with white lights and a big raffia bow on top. some others i can't remember right now. ok, let me go plug the thing in now...........
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:46 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• We have a pre-lit multi light tree and I have dozens of multi-colored glass ornaments in shapes and sizes. I bought one of the new pre-lit ribbon bow toppers from wal-mart (see walmarts ad this week), and I have red and gold ribbon cascading down it instead of garland.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• This past spring we were robbed and all our christmas stuff taken, our nativity scenes made by my deceased mom, our pre lit tree with all the lovely ornimates made by mom, my sons ornimates they have colllected one a year since birth, all the lights, the snow man music box, ALLL is ALLL gone.

We are not decorating this year it is tooo painful,

First we lost our job, then our house was vandalized and robbed, we had to move to a different state,

Thsi year has sucked.

mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Mom2boys1997: So sorry to hear about your year. However, it may be a good idea to start a clean slate. Celebrate your blessings that you DO have. Hope you have a better 2010.
    texasmommy69

Answer by texasmommy69 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Our family tree is pre-lit multi colored lights... It's decorations are a mix of everything...my dh is a fireman so we have items related to that... i was a teacher for many yrs and have gifts from past students that go up, all of my grandchildren ornaments , that is why we call it family tree... Our 8 yr old has his own tree with all of the ornaments that he has been receiving since his birth and we buy him 2 or 3 ea yr of what he is into at the time..

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Well usually it was stuff accumulated over the years. Last year we moved and our xmas stuff was the last to come over. We got to the new house late that night and left all the ornaments in the car. Im talking things I made when I was a kid, special things from family and friends and stuff. Just everything! the next day when I woke up my car was gone. It had been broken into and stolen. :( No more xmas decorations at all! so my Aunt gave me a box of crystal ornaments. They all match and theyre pretty but its not what it should be :(.. So as of this xmas everything matches, but it wouldnt have been that way if things my car wasnt stolen.

BTW they ended up finding the car. Apparently a bunch of kids thought it would be fun to steal a car and blow it up. They actually had ammo in it and BLEW it up! sooo yeah. My Ornaments were torched
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 3:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• OP here - I'm sorry to hear about your losses Mom2boys and firethearson. I can relate to some extent as my ex-husband destroyed all my photo albums and paintings that my grandmother did - it's been over 10 years and I still get angry about it.

Anonymous

• After 35 years I have more stuff than I can shake a stick at. I plan on doing the tree all in pink and gold this year. Actually all pink except a few gold ornaments that go on EVERY year no matter what.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 4:28 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• All different ornaments that we have accumulated over the years and some from when I was a kid too. It's a big colorful mess but I LOVE IT! Oh and multicolored flashing lights too.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 5:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• we have a prelit tree with white lights.... my ornaments are reb bulbs and then i do all different kinds of santa ornaments as accents.....
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 6:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2009