Is it okay for a boy to sit down when first learning to potty train?

My son recently started to go potty and he sits on the potty instead of standing up, my DH shows him but he still just sits?

Juicy_Mom_of_2

Asked by Juicy_Mom_of_2 at 3:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Mine sites about 90% of the time. I make him stand if we are in a gross bathroom, but at home no... less mess for me too!
    mawfia

Answer by mawfia at 3:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• yes its fine. thats why kid potty seats have that little lip on them so boys can keep their penis under it so pee doesnt spray everywhere:)
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Praise him however it is that he goes. He can get the standing up thing later. Don't pressure him about the standing either, it might cause a setback. Just be happy that he goes and he's getting the whole thing down. Yay for him!!!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• It's much less messy if boys start out sitting down.
    Anonymous

• All boys that I know of have started out sitting down.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• WOW thanks ladies, I am so proud of him and praise him everytime. I am so happy that he is going potty like a big boy, kinda sad though he's not my little baby anymore =)
    Juicy_Mom_of_2

Answer by Juicy_Mom_of_2 at 3:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• actually it's a good idea to start both genders with sitting down, it makes it easy for boys to do both eliminations and he wont get confused about whether to stand or sit for that particular one. when he is comfortable doing bm's and urinating he can choose to stand later. my son did this transition completely on his own and knows which one he needs to do for that trip to the bathroom now.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My son preferred to sit over standing when he was learning to potty train which was when he was two years old. After he felt secure about going potty he one day when he was about 2 1/2 years old decided to join dad at the toilet standing. He thought it was fun and claimed he was shooting bubbles out. We went through a short phase of him telling people he had to go to the bathroom to make bubbles (which meant he was going to stand and pee). He doesn't sit when he goes pee anymore which is fine. So far (crossing fingers it last forever) he's 5 years old and has not hit outside the toilet.

We have only two rules in the house; no matter if you're male or female both toilet seats are to be put down after going to the bathroom, and they are to wash hands with soap and water before leaving bathroom.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 3:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My son sat for the longest time while potty training, one day he just wanted to stand up so I wouldn't worry about it he's fine!
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 4:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Perfectly fine, I think. It's easier for them to do it that way too, because most aren't tall enough to properly go standing up.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2009