ADD, ADHD, ECT.

How did you know your child had add, adhd, etc? How do you get your doctor to do the tests?

Tliy

Asked by Tliy at 3:28 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Your family doctor will need to refer you to a specialist.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Sometimes the school will tell you that they have some concerns and they can do the testing. If your child isn't school age then you'd have to go through your child's doctor or a mental health doctor.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• General behaviour tends to be quite erratic.I work with adhd boys in high school and it varies.They have a whole lot of energy but no where to direct it properly.They are really easily distracted,impatient,can sometimes appear inconsiderate of other children.They might be unable to sit still( at all).They tend to fiddle with things,even take things apart to the point of breaking them.They fidget a lot.They can behave in a inappropriate manner in school to get their peers attention but they don't seem to fit in.
    It's not just normal boys mucking around stuff.It's normally excessive and seemingly uncontrollable.
    Talk to your doctor.they can tell you much,much more!If you tell them your concerns they should refer you for assessment.
    daisycat78

Answer by daisycat78 at 3:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• If you are worried take your kid to his dr and get a referall to a child psychariast. DO NOT let your ped. prescibe any medications for this. Get your child tested first.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Well you explain too the doctor about the child's behavior, and probably go to a psychologist and have them diagnos the child. Then just go from there. If the child is in school ask the teacher about the child's behavior and see if there are signs of them.
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 6:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• For me, I knew my 3rd DD was 'different' because she had such bizarre behavior compared to her older two sisters. Since birth her fits of crying topped the charts and she had nothing physically wrong with her. She was aggressive, extremely active, and prone to tantrums out of the blue. I spoke to her pediatrician, who watched her go from a sweet happy child into a raging screaming child in the space of moments in the exam room, and he just laughed and called her a "spirited child." I started noticing other different behaviors, too, such as certain clothes bugged the heck out of her, she would scream until I tied her shoes the correct tension, and she would rub against certain fabrics. She was also inattentive. When she went into Head Start at the age of 3 and they noticed her behaviors they suggested I have her evaluated by a specialist. We were referred to a pediatric psychologist who did lengthy testing, which was hard....
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:29 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• (con't)....because it was hard to pinpoint a lot of things that he asked about. He had us come back for 2 more tests/consults and then determined that she indeed has ADHD. He offered to place her on medication, but I told him no, not at the age of 3, so he referred me to a parenting group and gave me some suggestion in regards to foods and parenting styles that work for children with ADHD.
    When she began kindergarten I tried to get the school to work with me on my parenting styles and they tried, but my DD was getting worse each day so I gave in and had her placed on a med, which sort of worked, but she still had her highly tactile sensitivity.
    She is turning 16 in about a week and she has been on many different meds over the years. Some worked, some didn't, the ones that worked wore off as her system became immune to them. Today she is on Vyvanse and Abilify, which work when she takes them.....
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:34 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• (con't)....but she tries to get away with not taking them because she prefers to be hyper all the time. She has her outbursts, is inattentive, has difficulty concentrating and focusing, and is argumentative. She also blurts things out, very loudly, without thinking first so it becomes embarassing in public.
    My husband and I can see that she will not become a productive adult right out of high school, that it will take some more years to help her mature, but that is fine because we love her and will help her in any way we can.

This is only my experience with my child - one-of-a-kind - so no one should base their expectations on what I have gone through. Compared to how she was last year, this year is a success story. We take it one day at a time and do the best we can for her.

Best wishes!

PS: Sorry this was so long.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:40 AM on Nov. 19, 2009