Crime Rates

Do you think jail is really a deterant? If it was why are the prisons so over crowded? What can we do to have harsher sentences or reduce crime rates? I think prisoners should have to work..like plant big gardens, can the food, and eat what they grow. Our current sytem isnt working and it is costing a fortune to house and feed all of them...any ideas?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree for non violent crimes. Rapists, molesters and murderers should be in for life with no parole. Non violent criminals need to be punished but should all be in a work release program on house arrest not in a jail getting free meals. Make them work for their own food and housing. They should not be free to just run around either so the house arrest.
    Anonymous

• Texas prisoners do work. Each prison has some sort of manufacturing. The prison in the town where my sister lives makes all kinds of soap products. They are sold to schools/hospitals and such and used by other prisons. They also have HUGE gardens. They grow almost all of their own produce. The extra is sold to schools/hospitals and a local farmers market. The local food bank also gets some.

I think there should be more "limited" house arrest (ankle monitor) for non-violent offenders. Require them to maintain a job and stay out of trouble..maybe even volunteer some.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Sorry OP, I left out my answer! I think jail would be more of a deterrent if it was more unpleasant there. No tv's, fancy gyms and such.

I like the way the sheriff in Arizona runs things; tents, pink and bologna!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I like the way the sheriff in Arizona runs things; tents, pink and bologna!

That might hurt their little feeling though.lol
    Anonymous

• The problem is most people think they are too smart to get caught.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Sherriff Joe ALL THE WAY!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• i have a great idea, decriminalize weed, get the non violent offenders all on house arrest with major therapy (we dont have to feed them) and with violent crimes, have larger manditory sentences, for example -- one count of child abuse should at least cost you 20 yrs, so when you get out, that kid is big enough to fight back. let the petty shit go and take on the real criminals with real consequences.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• my moms stupid boyfriend is in a low security jail for assault, posession of crack, grand larceny and grand theft auto and he gets to wear civilian clothes, has his own TV and DVD player, has a larger collection of DVDs than I have as a free citizen. He has a CD player, cases full of CD's. He can buy snack food, sodas and candy as well as get his 3 meals a day. They also have a full basketball court and a gym for them to do weight lifting. Now...if you could live like that and just hangout with other people and not have to pay for anything...what would you do? I mean its really a piece of cake to go to prison now.

They need to make it uncomfortable and unpleasant. They need to make them work and they need to make them pay room and board. In VA you have to pay a fee everyday you are jailed but its only about a dollar a day. Make them work and the money they make have that go towards room and board and necessities.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 10:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• not when they get to watch TV, work out, and eat for free (oops, not free, i mean that we pay for). my husband and his two brothers have worked (one is still there) at the Morgan County Jail and have seen plenty of prisoners return shortly after their sentence expired, just because jail life is easier for them than to get off their arse and make a living for themselves.
    the setup in that one jail, special, is exactly what my husband has been wanting to be implemented in all our jails. i think time should be served to give back to the community that pays for the facilities, not to grow into lazy asses that suck away our tax dollars.
    chickenhobbit

Answer by chickenhobbit at 12:06 AM on Nov. 18, 2009