when nursing i dont feel as hard or full as i did about a month ago, am i not producing as much milk

th first month and a half my breasts got really hard and uncomfortable. that was when my baby aly was eating every 1-2 hrs. i noticed now my breasts dont get hard or heavy right away an my baby eats every 2-5 hrs.

packermommy

Asked by packermommy at 3:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• this is probably because your supply is starting to match the demand! this is a good thing! this doesnt mean your supply is low :)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Exactly!

Answer by rkoloms at 3:44 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• you were engorged before, and now your body is adjusting to how much baby's needs are... like pp said, its a good thing, and DOES NOT mean you have low supply! thats the coolest thing about mother nature, she knows just how to manufacture the right amount of food. as the baby grows the milk supply changes (so does its composition), to suit baby's needs. when they go through a growth spurt, they nurse more frequently, and may seem like they are always hungry- your body picks up the pace and produces more milk. its a beautiful thing!! expect another growth spurt in a few weeks, and that baby may seem hungry around the clock- this is normal, and you shouldn't freak out. just remember how much baby nursed at first... good luck- i'm proud of you!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• yeah after a few week my breasts relaxed and are still bigger than usual but don't have that full tight feeling they did before - thank god! :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 3:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Exactly what the first poster said. I stopped being "full" at about 6 weeks with both of my kids. I nursed to 15 months and 3 years.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 3:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I think this is totally normal. At first your body just produces milk like crazy. In the beginning I was leaking a lot and I would get really full and my breasts would get hard if I went longer than a couple of hours without nursing. But after the first month or so my supply leveled out and then I had plenty to feed my baby but I stopped leaking or getting so full unless I really went a while without feeding. Don't worry about your production, though, it should be fine. I also noticed that in the beginning my daughter would nurse for a longer time and then I worried she wasn't at the breast long enough to get full. Then I realized that she and I had just gotten the hang of things so my milk let down more easily and she was a professional eater by that point so we were just getting the job done more quickly!! LOL.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• You are not supposed to be hard or full. This does not mean you aren't making enough! More likely, you are making just what you need. If baby has 6 diaper changes (wet or poopy) you're all good.
    Missbehaves

Answer by Missbehaves at 4:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• GREAT! You WANT that full feeling gone. Milk is made WHILE you nurse. When your breasts are hard, your body is told to stop making milk becuase it's not needed. You want that full feeling gone as fast as you can get rid of it, and you neer want it back. The way to do it is to nurse on demand.

You are PERFECT.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• What happens is this: After you give birth your breasts are over-producing because of the hormone Prolactin. After about a month your body isnt flooded with prolactin and you are now working off of Supply and Demand.
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 4:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• no that's a good sign that your supply is evening out. some women over-produce in the beginning and get engorged and uncomfortable. then later, their boobs will just be hard if it's been a while since baby nursed, then it will eventually get to where they are never hard. :)
    Anonymous