Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


My son is already on a waiting list to be seen by a pediatric psychologist. He is getting worse though! Yesterday he had such a bad day at school and today he was excused from PE for the rest of the semester. He is 5 and having such a hard time with his behavior, attention, tantrums and excessive touching to name a few. I am ready for some help! I keep seeing where people say that the school can evaluate your child. How do I go about requesting this? Can I or do they have to decide when it's necessary? If I start with the school can I still go to my own Psychologist? What will the school look for? I don't think we are dealing with ADHd, alone anyway. I just need help. I'm so tired and stressed. Please help.


Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • You need to write a letter to the school requesting that your child is tested for ______ (whatever, learning problems, behavioral problems) and they have to do it within a certain time frame. In CA it's 10 school days.

    Answer by Pnukey at 11:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

  • At age 5, he might be too old for Early Intervention, but you can still call them and get referrals. Every state has an Early Intervention program. Look up the one for yours on Google. CALL THEM. They can help you. If you haven't talked to his doctor already, do it now. Do not let them bully you. It was so hard to get my son diagnosed with Autism, because he was so young (18 mos.). But I knew something was wrong, and I didn't let any doctors bully me. Second opinions, changing doctors, Early Intervention, etc. It might be ah rad fight for you, but it might not. Just don't stop trying.

    Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

  • There is also a child development center in my area that deals with diagnosing and helping with these sort of problems.

    Could search around and see if there is anything like that in your area.

    Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2009