My 6 yr. old daughter might have learning disabilties. I feel so bad for her?

Her teacher is starting the sst process referral for academics. Where a group of teachers and the parents get together and talk about how to help her. She is already in Title 1 for reading. Getting help on her reading. She is progressing a little but not enough the teachers say. They are thinking she might be ADHD or have a learning disability. From the research I have done, this is something that they won't outgrow. I feel so bad for her. I don't want her to have to struggle for the rest of her life. Are there any moms out there that can tell me their thoughts or experiences?

MWood123

Asked by MWood123 at 4:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• the worst thing you can do for a developmentally disabled child is feel bad for them. instead you should simply take advantage of every resource you can get your hands on to help her learn to live day to day life with her disability. if you show pity it enables them to take advantage of your pity.....she simply needs to be taught how to do everyday things with her disability in mind.
    Anonymous

• My son has three major learning disabilities. No, they don't outgrow them. With effective therapies they can learn to manage them. The little tricks they learn for coping with whatever it is they have become second nature over time. The most important thing you can do is not pity them. Advocate for them and never let them use it as a cop out excuse. They CAN do anything everyone else can...they may just do it a different way or take a little longer to get done.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Thankfully the doctors had thought of these problems early on, rather than waiting until later. My ss in almost 10 and finally diagnosed ADHD when he was 7. He has issues with math (when asked what 2+4 is, it will take him over 5 minutes, because he won't use his fingers, even using his fingers he will get it wrong 80% of the time), he loves to read, but has problems with spelling....however he has an unbelievable memory on other things. He can list over 100 dinosauras off the top of his head AND explain when they lived and what they were like. Same with rocks/plants. I have talked to a lot of people that have children with ADD/ADHD and they have all said the same thing. There is at least one thing that really makes their child stand out and blow people away. So don't think of it as something bad, but as a gift in waiting. Good luck!
    54313MomOf4Boys

Answer by 54313MomOf4Boys at 4:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Turn your energy around from feeling sorry for her into finding out what the problem is and what you can do to help her better. You have to take the first step before worrying about what is going to happen down the road.
    Anonymous

• do not feel bad for her...push with getting her her evaluations done in a timely manner and started on the right path for her to learn to overcome her challanges. You need to be in her corner fighting with all your might. Good Luck. .
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:57 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Keep the bar high and realize it means lots of extra help and support from home. My younger son was very LOW K-4, but now is on grade level. Sometimes what is diagnosed as a learning disability young is just a slower developer. The balancing act was hard- I had to resist the urge to keep him out of sports and other after school activities so he could focus on school. I am glad I did not. He and I both learned valuable lessons being part of a team and having to work to keep up in school. Sports is what he excelled at and I am glad I did not take away the one thing that made him feel GREAT! Its painful, but you will need to accept that struggling in school is just that- a struggle! I was not perfect and I lost my temper, pushed too hard sometimes and not hard enough other times, but keep your focus on your child and it will be OK. Hang in there- as an educator I would rather have 10 IEP kids than 1 behavior child CONT
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:47 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• And by behavior I do not mean behaviors associated with disabilities- I mean the kids that are bullies, lazy or just plain do not care. There are things worse than a learning disability!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:48 AM on Nov. 18, 2009