Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PIOS: Please help me with my son.

My son is already on a waiting list to be seen by a pediatric psychologist. He is getting worse though! Yesterday he had such a bad day at school and today he was excused from PE for the rest of the semester. He is 5 and having such a hard time with his behavior, attention, tantrums and excessive touching to name a few. I am ready for some help! I keep seeing where people say that the school can evaluate your child. How do I go about requesting this? Can I or do they have to decide when it's necessary? If I start with the school can I still go to my own Psychologist? What will the school look for? I don't think we are dealing with ADHd, alone anyway. I just need help. I'm so tired and stressed. Please help.


Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Call the school principal. That's how you get the ball rolling.

    My son's school started the process on their own and let us know they were doing it. They had our complete consent and cooperation.

    There was a battery of tests, some of which were just observation,. some were task oriented. They came to the conclusion of Asperger's Syndrome.

    You can indeed go to a doc on your own too. Just pick up the phone.

    Answer by gdiamante at 4:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

  • You should express your concerns to his teacher and guidance counselor.
    Im shocked they haven't already requested a conference with you about him.

    Answer by Gealach at 4:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

  • Call the school district's special education department. I've been there. The principal can't/won't do anything more than direct you there anyway.

    Attack it from both sides. Go through the school and go through the developmental pediatrician. Keep both sides informed of what is going on, allow them to talk to each other and pass information as well!!

    The school evaluations and your medical evaluations are separate and individual. But by allowing them to compare notes, you're going to have an easier time of getting everyone on the same page!

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

  • I urge you to have him tested for food sensitivities. They can cause behavioral and emotional problems.
    Ask your dr for a food panel rast test for IgG & IgE.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

  • We have whats called "The Office of Pupil Personnel Services" and they oversee Special Education, Psychological, Guidance, and Behavioral Services. Call your Superintendents off and ask who oversees all these services for your school district. Ask them all these questions!!! They are professionals, there to help you!!! Also revisit your child's Doc with all these issues - they might be able to help, or get you the help he needs.

    Fight hard to get what you need in atimely mannner - don't give up or give in on what you feel you need!! I wish you all the luck and strength I can!!! Hang in there MOM!!!

    Answer by Morgain at 3:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2009