Is this a precursor to rationing?

New guidelines issued by a Dept. of Health and Human Services panel say women do not need to get annual mammograms until age 50. Until now, women have been told to get a mammogram every year beginning with their 40th birthday.
Is it a coincidence this is coming out now?

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=2&aid=173612

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 4:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• no
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Well, the jackasses in congress probably need a raise or something.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Thats the government..it stinks just like the healthcare bill awaiting vote in the senate..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• They are always changing the age. I remember when it was 50, then it dropped to 40...looks like they changed their mind again.
    Anonymous

• It's good science. Why would you want extra tests that have greater benefits than risks?
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I heard about this on the morning news. According to the morning anchor on the local FOX affiliate this is supposed to be a completely independent group of doctors with no political ties that meets regularly to determine this type of thing. They also are supposed to have said that women doing self exams is pointless which I know is a crock because I know of a few women who found something odd, saw their doc and had cancer.

I honestly don't know what to think about the whole thing.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 4:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My moms dr told her that 50 was a good age to wait for if you have no family history or other factors (lumps ect). And that was years ago. The American Cancer society says 40 and every yr and they have no real reason but to help save lives to add their input. I think the timing of this IS questionable. Its also kind of like speed limits. If the limit is 65 everyone goes 70 or 75. You change the age to 50 and a lot of people are going to wait even longer, which probably concerns the ACS. The bottom line is that it would be GREAT if this administration would live up to its campaign promises of transparency, NO lobbyists, and accountability. Since it is FAILING in all of these areas and people SO distrust EVERYONE in Washington THIS is just ONE MORE thing that sounds fishy and makes you wonder WTH!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• On the one hand, I feel less worried about the fact that I haven't had a mammogram since I turned 40, six years ago...

On the other...I am concerned that more women will die.

Knowing how medical research works, I do think it's coincidental that these new recommendations are coming out now. Someone would've had to have had a crystal ball before the 2008 election to plan this timing.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I am a firm believer in mammograms and monthly self-exams.

I have had 6 lumps removed (both breasts). Lumps were found with both types of exams. All of these were before I was 40.

I think the government needs to get its nasty hands off my breasts.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I DO have BIG problems with them telling women not to do self exams!! WTH?!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2009