Is it time?

My dd (10) has been complaining of stomach cramps for the last two days. She has been wearing a bra of some sort (needing one) for 2+ years. I am wondering if this could be a sign that shes fixing to start her period! She stayed home yesterday cause she was complaining and her brother and I had a stomach virus over the weekend but she never through up or anything and she was still in pain this morning. If it is her period what is the best products line (both tampon and pads) to get for her? shes a swimmer so she will need the tampons but I am unsure of what to get for her!! thanks for the help

elananme

Asked by elananme at 4:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My oldest got her first period two days after her 11th birthday (she's 14 now) I would recommend getting the tampons for teenagers (made by tampax I believe) as they are slimmer and seem to be more comfortable. I would also recommend Always Clean for her to carry at school, since they come with a moist wipe attatched to each pad. This way if she starts her period at school she can clean up easier. My DD insists on these!
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 5:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Have you showed her how to use pads yet? You should start by explaining that she may be starting her period soon. Buy her a few different kinds of pads (thin, long, thick, wings, no wings, etc.) and show her how to use them and how to dispose of them properly. Let her try a few different ones when she has her period to see which ones she likes best. She may need different ones for overnight and possibly different ones for heavy flow vs. light flow. Personally I like Always Infinity. They're thin, have wings, and are VERY absorbent without being bulky and messy. They draw the blood in (TMI) so that it's not gross.

As far as tampons, make sure she has mastered pads first and then introduce tampons. Start with skinny ones because they're not as intimidating. I like Tampax with the plastic applicator. I would suggest using plastic applicators first and not cardboard b/c they are more rough.
    Anonymous

• It certainly could be....and if not, it sounds like it will be soon anyway. Get some supplies and show them to her, talk about it all in a very natural way, emphasizing that once she gets used to it all it shouldn't interfere in her doing anything she is used to doing..... If you can, buy a few different kinds that are marketed for teens and then she will have a chance to try and find what she prefers. She may not be ready for tampons right away, but if she is, I would encourage it. Once she gets used to tampons she can stop worrying about missing swimming! When I was that age, I would have liked having a book or something that I could read privately as well....I was shy and would have found too much information directly from my mother very embarrassing and uncomfortable. Ironically, she was very open about everything.....I just think kids that age going through that phase appreciate a little privacy as well as the info too!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:25 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• WE have talked about this happening pretty regularly for a year or so, I havent had the courage yet to take her shopping for "materials" mainly cause i didnt want to buy them and have them sit for a year before she would need them. Her swimming is in january and goes until august so she will need the tampons (its swim team regulations) She is actually excited since two other girls in her class already have theirs. I guess this weekend i will take her shopping and discuss all of her options and explain the markings on the packages. We have always discussed body issues, safetouching, changing, growing etc. She has no problem letting me know when something is different/changing/painful etc. She isnt nervous about any of it (except she doesnt want the boys to know!) and is actually excited about growing up. I was thinking about doing a mother daughter day when she actually starts and make it a special sort of memory for her
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 12:12 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Tampax has a sport size tampon and they are smaller and slenderer than most. As for pads, I would start off with ultra thins with wings. If they only have ultra thin and wings when I was her age lol. My 16 dd started off with them and still to this day loves them. And the sports tampax are great for any athlete.
    Beth039

Answer by Beth039 at 7:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2009