Do you automatically blame the parents if a kid isn't talking by 2y/o?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• WTF? some people think they know too much...development is a RANGE not a goalpost one has to reach at point X in time. Communication is comprised of 2 aspects - verbal/sign and comprehension. Language delays need to be taken in CONTEXT, not as an isolated entity. A child who is not verbally producing words, but is making efforts to have their needs met, has met other milestones within their age range, is engaging socially with care providers and understands basic instructions and commonly used words ("where's the ball?", "find daddy", etc), by the age of 2, and the parents have no concerns, is doing just fine. It's when armchair child developmentalists start making the calls that you throw a family off it's game. 2??!! Are you serious? maybe 3, but please, stop reading google info...
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 7:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• No. Some kids just don't talk until later.
    Anonymous

• No. My kids all have seen speech therapists. I always read to them and played with them. I had my oldest evaluated at a child find when he was about 1 1/2 and the lady said she wanted him to get evaluated by a speech therapist. She agreed he would benefit from services. My 2 younger ones have also received services. My 4 year old still isn't speaking very clear. In fact I think his 2 year old brother is about to pass him in the language department.

Anonymous

• If they're not doing anything about then sure I would. There are some kids that don't talk till later but if they're really not saying any words at all they should be getting help. If the parents are just saying that there isn't a problem and refusing to get help then that's bad.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• No. Not every child speaks early. My son's first pediatrician swore up and down he needed to be speaking in complete sentences by 18 months. That did not happen. He was 2 before he really started speaking words and 3 before he started speaking in sentences. I have yet to see a child speak before 2. I hadn't even heard of it until I came on here and started seeing all these posters going on about their childlen saying anywhere from 20 to 500 words by 15 months. It's hard to believe.
    Anonymous

• Yes it is, anon 55! Took the words right out of my mouth.
    Anonymous

• NO some kids just talk later. It could have to do with the parents, or the kid could have the best parents in the world and still be slow to talk, I don't know the situation so it wouldn't be right to judge
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 4:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Einstein didn't talk until he was four. Some kids don't. I didn't talk until I was four and when I finally did, it was in full sentences.

Anonymous

• My oldest was like that. He didn't speak very well untill he hit 3, then all of sudden, it was "Actually, mom..." and "I didn't realize...."! One day he saw a commercial on tv and he said "That lady turned into koolaid! What's that about?"
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 5:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Aaaaaa! No! My firstborn had NO interest in speaking and it really bothered me when people went to MY parents to tell them my husband and I needed to work with our son and talk to him. As if we didn't!!! You could repeat words all day and he would never even try to copy you. The only thing I have done, if the parents are asking for advice, is suggest a hearing test. I have known kids to be delayed because of poor hearing.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2009