Do you think the school owes my daughter a new phone?

Ok, here is the problem. At my dd's high school they can have their phones, but cannot have them turned on. If they get caught with the phone it gets taken away and the parents have to come in and pay $15 in order for them to release it. I COMPLETELY agree with this punishment, in fact when my dd stupidly took her's out and got it taken away, I left it at the school for about 6 weeks as a punishment as well. I finally went in last week and the high school can't find the phone, they lost it, or someone else picked it up/stole it. The AP (asst principle) told my daughter to go home and find a used phone on Ebay. I'm still unclear as to what his plans are with that, whether they buy one or give us a check. But to be honest, I am in no way comfortable buying a used phone anywhere, it could be gently used to broken. So what are your thoughts, should they get us a new phone, used phone, or is it even their responsibility?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Anon...I read your 6:42p reply and that is EXACTLY what I was saying in my replies. It was not YOUR financial responsibility to get the phone and KUDOS to you for making her be the one to pay that $15! The school as a policy in play that they take the phone away if a student turns it on. I am presuming that that policy is in play because they were taking phones away, students were claiming them at the end of the day and it was a consistent problem because they could easily pick the phones up. So, the school adds a $15 charge for picking up the phones as a deterrent. The students will have to pay $15 to get their phone and the burden will be such that they will learn to keep their phones on. If, according to some of the replies, you had gone in that day or the next day with $15 and gotten the phone....what lesson is learned? (continued below)

Anonymous

• If she'd lost the phone on her own, or it had been stolen from her locker, the school wouldn't be responsible. I don't think this is going to be much different, depending on how they store the items.

More worrisome is the personal information that may be on the stolen phone.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Honestly, no I really don't feel they owe her a new phone. She took it out and used it when she knew she shouldn't. Therefore, she should find the money for a new phone if she wants one. She knew the rules, she chose not to follow them. It sucks that they seem to have lost it, but they wouldn't have had it to lose if she had followed the rules.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• IMO it isn't their responsibility to replace the phone.. yea they should have had it locked up but had your daughter followed the rules it wouldn't have been taken from her in the first place and you wouldn't be dealing with this. I think it's only fair to make her work to earn herself a new phone.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 5:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Personally I would have picked it up the next day, not told her and kept it at home....only because I understand how fast things can disappear in a school.....but that is over.

Also I wouldn't expect them to pay for it. If they do, or pay a portion of it, that would be nice, but I wouldn't expect it. Good luck
    54313MomOf4Boys

Answer by 54313MomOf4Boys at 5:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• They need to have a publicized rule that the phone must be retrieved in a week or two, so they aren't stuck with the responsibility of storing it. But since they didn't, and the phone is missing while under their care, they should replace the phone with one of similar value. I'd also be afraid of someone getting personal information or running up costs on the missing phone.

Answer by Bmat at 5:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• "or running up costs on the missing phone. "

That's why you call the cell company and explain the phone was lost/stolen.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 5:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Sorry, but the school will let tell you they are not responsible for the phone, taken away by staff, taken by another student or stolen out of a locker. My son's phone was taken by a group of ex-friends...long story, anyway police we involve and the main 2 that orgianlly took his phone as a joke recieved a 1 day suspension.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 5:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• OP here, she was smart enough to ask for her sim card when they took it from her, so no personal info floating around.
    Anonymous

• If they cannot have them turned on why take them to school at all? We couldn't have ours in school at all, either way I would probably say they should at least pay for part of it.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 5:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2009