Baby Blues or PPD?

I wasn't sure what category to put this in but I figured since it has to do with just having had a baby this is good enough. I have felt horrible off and on since my daughter was born, and have randomly burst into tears and feel like the day is dragging, and feel moments where taking care of my kids is a chore. I cannot remember feeling this way with my son, he's not quite 2. But my husband is away a lot for work and it's easier when he's here. How would I know if I'm depressed or if it's just the blues?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Start trying to take 5-10 minutes for yourself to regroup, and see if taking these "mommy breaks" help. If not talk to your doctor they can help you determine what is the difference! Give it a week or so to get in a set schedule. Take a few breaks a day, during nap times or when the kids are playing! You can do it...it is tough being a woman!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 5:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I am right there with you! My oldest is just over 2 and I had my youngest a few weeks ago, and Im feeling really off. Im not sure if its PPD or just baby blues, but with two kids running around, and my hubby leaving for a deployment soon, Im not taking any chances. The only person who knows EXACTLY what going on with you is, you. It sucks to say it, but only you can make the call of this is normal and will pass, or this isnt normal and I need some help. (But know its not a bad thing to say ya need help. In fact its the strongest/hardest choice to make because as a society its been pushed into our heads the talking to a doctor about mental health and possibly even meds means a bad thing. its not!)
    Gypsy-Eyed-Mom

Answer by Gypsy-Eyed-Mom at 5:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• PS. Sometimes it helps to just know youre not the only one out there feeling this way. So if you need to talk, message me!
    Gypsy-Eyed-Mom

Answer by Gypsy-Eyed-Mom at 5:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I've felt like this on & off since my son was born (a month ago). I talked to my doctor at 3weeks postpartum & she said it's hard to distinguish so early because it could also be just exhaustion. She said she'll evaluate me at my 6week checkup though. Just talk to your doctor, even if it's nothing it's better to get it out there just in case. Also, I've noticed that taking a few minutes longer in the shower & just letting my emotions out (whether its crying, smiling, laughing, or shouting) while standing under a stream of hot water helps me feel refreshed when I get out. Good luck mama! We'll all make it through this <3
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 6:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I felt the same way. My daughters are 2 1/2 and 7 weeks. My 7 week old has reflux and I was going crazy. I was so emotional and was getting stressed really easily, the feeling guilty for being short with my older daughter and then crying because I felt like a bad mom. I thought about talking to my doctor and discussed it with my husband. My husband agreed to try to help me a little more and gave me a little time to myself (to take a bath or exercise, or whatever), that helped a lot, so I never ended up talking to my doctor. Once my daughter got on medicine and started sleeping more I felt better too. If you feel like need to talk your doctor you should. I won't hurt to bring it up. Good luck and I hope you feel better.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 17, 2009