Do baby boy's and baby girls learn at the same pace???

I was just wondering because my son is almost 3 months and he only started smiling a week ago. a baby girl i know started smiling around the same time (and smiling more) and she's 2 weeks younger than him. is this normal?

Hali_Taylor

Asked by Hali_Taylor at 5:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Even before birth girls are ahead of boys in physical development. I have boy/girl twins, and my perinatologist told me that my girl would be physically ready for life outside the womb a couple of weeks before her brother strictly based on the fact that she was a girl. Of course all babies develop at different rates and you have to be careful about comparing, but girls do start out with an advantage. With my twins my daughter has done everything 2 weeks to 2 months before her brother, but she has done everything 2 weeks to 2 months later than her older sister did the same things.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• THOSE TYPE OF THINGS vary from baby to baby, not so much gender to gender
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:18 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• It is proven that girls develop faster than boys do. Google it.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 5:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• It is not proven that it happens. My boys kicked ass when it came to developing faster than girls.

It varies baby to baby, and has a lot to do with parents and caregivers.

Anonymous

• girls tend to smile earlier and make more eye contact. girls also tend to develop fine moter and speech sooner. Boys tend to do large moter sooner. You know crawl, walk, jump etc. sooner than girls
    Anonymous

• my cousin's baby was born 3 months premature, and my son was due the same time he was. (so he's 3 months older than my son) but he's two times bigger than my son, and seems to catch on to things faster. It varys by babies. My son is prefectly healthy, and smart.
    Anonymous