what did you do for your baby's

first birthday? They say to keep it short an hour to an hour and a half. Don't serve a meal just some refreshments. What was your child first birthday like?

Theme
Food
Games-did you give prizes
Cake
Cupcakes

and do you eat first and then play some games and then sing happy birthday, presents and cake and ice-cream.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• I had a little party at the park. I had balloons and the1st birthday theme going on. It was all pink and yellow. I did have food I ordered sandwiches from our grocery store deli, it was 2 big foot long sandwiches that came with everything, mayonaise, mustard, pickles, tomatoes......... I also had chips and some dip. we let the kids play at the park for a little while and then ate the sandwiches, after that let the kids run around some more. Finally we sang happy birthday and did cake. My DD had her own little cake that she got to play in and there was a separte cake for the guests. No games because these were really little kids that wouldn't have understood them anyways, but i did have goody bags for when it was time to leave.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 6:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• No theme. Just balloons. Cake, ice cream. No games, no prizes...there were no children for them. We kept it REALLY simple.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Who is "they" and why are they saying that?

A first party is more for the parents, really. The toddler isn't going to remember it other than through pictures.

We had a theme for the first one but he had showed a definite preference...his was dinosaurs. The other two just had some decorations (very few) with "Baby's 1st" on them.

I bought a cake for the adults and gave the toddler a little one to themselves...which we had to cut a piece out of it for them because they didn't have a clue what to do with the whole thing.

They had their presents...and we had to help rip the paper. Then they went and played with their old toys.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• We did cupcakes instead of cake. We did a couple of balloons tied to his chair and we had NO theme.

We kept them just immediate family and one or two gifts and that was it.

We felt it wasnt necessary to do a big blow out because the only ones we'd be impressing would be ourselves and other family(like aunts, grandparents...if they showed). That wasnt worth it to us. We preferred the simplicity.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Had lunch with grandparents, then had aunts/uncles/cousins over for cake. Then opened presents. That was more than enough. No extra people, just the ones who cared, no huge bunch of craziness that made the kiddo wonder what was going on, nothing. A few minor decorations. First 3 had a peice of the cake, 4th had a smash cake (had never heard of a seperate smash cake before him). No tantrums or breakdowns or anything, and I wouldn't go back and do it different - everyone was happy keeping it simple.
    Anonymous

• We celebrated at my aunt's 4 th of July party!!! There were tons of people there. He got so many gifts that it was crazy. My son was born on July 4th, so birthdays are hard to plan.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• We just had family. I let MIL take care of it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Well, my daughter's first birthday was in July and it was more like a cookout. We had 3 canopies up in our yard (2 we own and 1 el cheapo just for the day--not the big expensive ones) Balloons everywhere . . . we decorated the inside of the house also. We had lots of food and a pinata. Our party started at 1pm and didn't end until closer til 6 or 7pm. We had a baby pool and a slip n slide. It really was blast! I can't wait for next year!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Oh and we had a My Little Pony theme . . . it was so great! I loved it! The decorations were kinda pricey though, but my sister's daughter is only a year older than mine . .. so, I gave them to her. We will recycle "themes" each year!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Just some close family and cake. He was only one and wouldn't know anyway. I save all the planning and gifts for when they are older. We took tons of pics of them eating their cake but that is about it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2009