RSV shot?

Did anyone's child have this shot? It's a monthly preventative shot to prevent RSV. It outs antibodies into his lungs so that he can't get infection. It's usually only covered by insurance and recommended for preemie babies and those with respiratory conditions. My son is completely healthy, but since he was in the NICU and his pediatrician recommended it, our insurance is covering it 100%! The shot is usually between $900-$1500 each month, so I feel pretty lucky that they're covering it. Everything I've read said that there are no risks and I heard the same thing from two Dr.'s. Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with this shot?

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 5:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It wasn't out when my youngest was an infant. He was born at 36 weeks and at 5 weeks (1 adjusted) ended up with RSV. He was in the PICU for a week and barely missed being put on a ventilator twice in that week.

There were other babies in there...older than him...and some of them had been on the ventilator for a week already when he was admitted...and when we left, they were still on it. There was one toddler who started out with RSV and ended up with pneumonia. I was back at the hospital over a month later with another son...and ran into that girl's grandmother. She was still in the PICU, still on a ventilator and they had no clue if she was ever going to recover. (other things had developed)

Not my experience with the vaccine, but my experience with RSV.

Oh, my older two had it at the same time but stayed home. All three now have asthma.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• puts antibodies*
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 5:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Havent done it wish my insurance company covered it when my 5 yr old son was a baby when he was 6 months old he got rsu it was bad! he now has bad asthma because of it!
    mommyof2boysmd

Answer by mommyof2boysmd at 6:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I would get it for your son. RSV is awful for young babies, especially those who are premature or have any underlying health issues.
    I'm a pediatrics nurse and the babies we see can stay in the hospital 1-2 weeks, sometimes more they are so sick.
    If you can prevent it, I would!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Wow... I tried to get it for my baby, but they wouldn't give it to him because he wasn't less than a 34 weeker. He was 39 weeks but because of his birth defects he was in the NICU. I really wanted it because my older son had RSV and spent the first two winters in the hospital in an oxygen tent.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 11:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2009