what do you do?

what kind of job do you have and how do you keep up with everything on top of working? i feel like such a failure i dropped out of school and now im scared to do my ged, i have never been book smart and i am not good at writing. i would really like to make something of myself but i know i am not book smart, i never been. my grades in school were not good and i always needed help. how can i make something of myself when i always need help? i tried for my ged and took classes i stopped going tol the classes, you think after 2 wks i would know something and i did not, i still could not figure things out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• Can I tell you a true story? Not about me. About my kid brother.

Like you, he was not book smart. He ran away from home at age 17, and ended up finishing high school through a continuation school. No college education.

He spent some time figuring out what he was good at. He started in loss prevention, and was *very* good in stopping theft from stores. He spent a few years working his way into retail management. But along the way, he doscovered what my dad had told him all the time...his true skill was in talking to people.

He took up real estate. It did take some studying at first, to pass the test. But these days....he's VERY well off. Better than I am...and I was supposed to be the smart one.

The moral of the story? Above all...have faith in yourself.

What ARE you good at? What do you LIKE? Start there.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• asking for help in nothing to be shamed of. i could quess you should set yourself a main goal every day and work towards it till its finished, unless it starts making you feel real tired or out of focus. those who succeed succeed mostly in one area, other things are just additives. you were probably out of focus. do not blame yourself. that's the problem of most Americans - multitasking -start doing it only when you will feel proficient in one goal. than add 2nd, and take your time. nothings comes at once. set your priorities and go. good luck. btw: if you feel like you are lost occassionally, hit me w/t your e-mail and maybe i can be of help. btwbtw: when you do homework, first do the hwk for tommorow, later from todays classes (till you remember all), still have time - do what's left (for the day after tomorrow etc). unless u have only 20mins before you go to bed - finish one full. commit to it. Plan in calendar w/ hrs!
    baby133

Answer by baby133 at 6:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• i forgot to add - i am a physicist w/ no job at the present. degree does not always pay in this country at once or to all. my advice - do in your life what will make you happy every day.
    baby133

Answer by baby133 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I've been working from home for over a year now as an Independent Contractor. I've been able to find some successful at home jobs, I work on several different projects from home and I've just picked up another legitimate job to generate some extra income....try checking out this site, you may be able to find something that you'd like to do or just try something new, this site has really helped me out a lot http://www.ucanworkathome.info/livelonger
    WAHMLivingHappy

Answer by WAHMLivingHappy at 10:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2009