Questions abt carseats?

I'm looking for a carseat for my boys which are highly due for one, they are age of one n are abt 22lbs.. im looking for one that can last but is not going to eat my wallet up.
Another question is that, my boys father has a carseat that is from the brand Peg Perego, and its has the puzzle plastic buckle, n wondering if that is aproved by the NHTSA? i jus feel that metal bucket would be more safter?

blssdwittwns930

Asked by blssdwittwns930 at 5:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The more important question is, "is the seat safe?" How old is it? Is it used or new? Has it been in an accident (yes, even a little fender bender counts)?

A buckle is a buckle. Look around. Different seats have different buckles.
    Anonymous

• A good seat is the Cosco Scenera. It is about $50 at Walmart. It can be used rear facing if you continue to do so (which is safer and recommended for all children under two!) and it can be used forward facing up to 40 pounds. I like it because I have no car and it is easy to get in and out of taxi's and other people's car's.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 7:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Keep in mind that while the Cosco Scenera is a good seat--if you have taller boys or ones with longer torso's, it will not last long--We had the Scenera and dd was 2, 26lbs and 36in when she outgrew it --it claims to go to 40lbs and 43 in but like i said if your child has a longer torso, like my dd does, then they will outgrow it before that limit --You need to measure your child's torso height and then measure the carseat from base to the top harness to see which carseat would be best--I think the Scenera is 14in from base to top harness slot; we have the Graco Nautilus which is pricey but has 18in from base to top harness slot---Dd was on the top slot of our Scenera and in our Nautilus she's only in the second or third slot, and still has two more slots to go. --I wish i would have bought this first,and not gotten the Scenera. --And if you want to go rear-facing still, the MyRide 65 is awesome too, with tons of room.
    Lanasmom

Answer by Lanasmom at 7:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• We bought a carseat for our son that will turn into a booster seat when he's older. Therefore, it will last him all the way up until he can sit in the regular seat without a booster. I don't know the brand of it, but it can be found at Meijer and Walmart. It is gray, black, and red.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I'd go for the Graco Nautilus. It goes up to 65lbs with the 5 point harness and 100lbs as a booster so they'll never need another seat.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I have a 15 month old son who is 23 lbs and 31" inches long and he looks RIDICULOUS in my 5 year olds Graco Nautilus! I couldnt imagine putting my child in that seat ! But maybe what looks so goofy about it is that its forward facing only.... I recommend the Cosco Scenera until you can afford a better seat. The Scenera is a GOOD seat, high rear facing limit, however, it doesnt last THAT long, you will have to buy another one. I LOVE my sons Evenflo Triumph Advance. It rear faces to 35lbs, then forward faces in a 5pt harness to 50lbs. Really great seat. I paid $140 for it , but if you shop around you can definately find it cheaper. Closer to $100. Join the carseat safety group here, its really great!!! And definately look into extended rear facing. And as long as the Peg Perrego seats arent expired they are fine. Carseats expire 6 years after their manufacture date, so just look on the seats for the manufacture date .
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I do not look at price when deciding on safety items. I look for ease of use, longevity, and extra safety features when picking a car seat for my son. He has a True Fit and a Radian XT. The True Fit can rear face to 35 lbs, forward face to 65 lbs, harness straps that adjust without re-threading, and super easy install with LATCH. It usually runs about $150 - $190. The Radian XT can rear face to 40 lbs (newer SL models can RF to 45 lbs), forward face to 80 lbs, narrower width than pretty much any other convertible seat, and folds for travel. The older Radian XT models are about $250, newer XTSL models are about $300. There are also lower end models - Radian 65 and Radian 80 - that are less expensive.
    sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 12:15 PM on Nov. 25, 2009