i took my son to the allergy doctor today...bad results.

he is allergic to alot of spring and fall most common stuff but his biggest reaction was to house hold pet dander and dust mites. The doctor said to continue on his medicine on a daily basis and it will probably help and that he is probably used to living with our cats but when the spring time comes or fall it just hits him really hard being outside and then having to come in and being around the cats. She said that if the medicine isnt enough come spring that she suggest the shots. My question is what would you do about the animals? They are my husbands babies...i can't stand hearing that my son is allergic. The doctor said to keep my sons bedroom door shut and not let them in but she told me that vaccuming extra will do nothing

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 6:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Pet dander is really easy to aggrivate. my mom is allergic to it, and the only animal shes EVER been around without a problem is my uncles cat. BUT she bought a dog that doesnt shed and hasnt had much problem. If your cats are giving your son a hard time and keeping him on meds, get rid of them. no animal should come as a priority compared to a child....if hes already having a hard time outside, he needs a break in the house! but thats just me. i guess you could try keeping them seperate
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• If you have the money I would suggest replacing your carpeting with hardwood or tile. Or at least maybe in your son's room. People with allergies that come to my house usually do pretty well because we have hardwood floors and I make sure I sweep and mop really well before they come visit.
    Anonymous

• anon 6 33...i read that..hopefully in the near future we can..i read about that
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• What about the pets? Seriously, what is more important...keep the pets and have your son in a constant allergy attack or rehome the pets so your son can live easier and with fewer medications?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• i want to. My husband thinks that my reason though is because i dont like one of them. (which i don't) I will be honest but only because he is always scratching and puking...which is making my son sick. my son is doing okay right now on the meds he is on but i told my husband if spring time roles around and he starts up coughing and stuff that we are gonna have to get rid of the problem. My husband says "what do you expect me to do about it" The cats are both about 10 yrs old. I dont think anyone would want them and i know my husband would just die if i forced him to put them down or get rid of them. They were here long before me. I'm not saying my husband would choose the cats over me but he would be very depressed without them. i just dont know what to do without being an ugly bitch to my husband
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:29 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Honestly, I'd be getting rid of the cats - I did it when we found out my DH was very allergic to them and yeah, I miss my fur babies, but DH's health came first. LIke a pp said, hardwood or tile floors help a ton w/allergies b/c they are easier to keep clean. Vacuuming carpets daily can help w/the other allergies, but only if the cats are gone. Since your son has mostly environmental allergies, make everyone (including those who visit) take their shoes off at the door to avoid tracking allergens throughout your house. Get a true HEPA filter system put on your furnace or use portable HEPA filters in every room to help keep the allergens from floating about your house so that you aren't inhaling them. Seal up mattresses & pillows w/allergy protectors. Wash all bedding in superhot water weekly. Freeze any stuffed toys for 3 days once/month or wash them in hot water (kills the dust mites). Replace curtains w/blinds or shades.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:50 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• What kind of allergy testing did they do? Skin prick? Rast test? Did they do a food panel too? I ask because for years I had "seasonal" allergies, dust mites, & pet dander. It wasn't until I was 33 that I found out that I had a gluten intolerance. Went gluten free and no more allergies. Had the allergist did a food panel when I was tested, I could have avoided a decade of medicines & shots.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:09 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• you can relinquish them to a certain area of the house. I have a friend who has 5 cats and became allergic to them. She has a two story house with a finished basement. The cats became basement cats and she doesn't go down there. Plus she uses wipes on them and vaccums a lot plus has an air purifier.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:48 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• they did the skin prick..the doc said she does'nt want to put him through anymore of the testing unless i decide i want to get him the shots (if the other meds dont work) I'm hoping that just giving him the breathing treatments will help, but does anyone thing its best just to go ahead and do shots? would he still have to do the pulmicort inhalers if he got the shot?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• The problem with skin prick is that it will only show an allergy & it's awful to put a kid through that.

A rast test is done by a blood draw (only 1 poke). By analyzing the blood for the IgG antibody of common food allergens, sensitivities can be determined. If the immune system is busy battling an internal irritant, it may over react when normal irritants like dust are present.

If your allergist or dr thinks this is bull, find a new one that is up to date on new technology & testing practices.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2009