whats the correct way to explain the birds and the bees to a 10 year old?

She is very smart for her age and has probley done learnt more than i could even imagine i want her to get the correct information not half the truth ... I feel like i might not tell her all she needs to know or tell her to much, my mom never had the talk with me about anything. I was scared to death when i started and got all the wrong information about sex and love and all that comes with it... I want very different from my child... I know there are kids at her scool thats 11 having sex and a few years older having kids thats why i believe its time she needs correct information....

ashkp

Asked by ashkp at 6:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Just sit down with her and be fully open and honest. Make sure she understands the basics and let her know she is free to ask questions then or at a later time.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 6:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Ask her if she knows where babies come from, then ask her to explain it to you. You can correct her if she has the wrong information.
    Anonymous

• What a good idea anon!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 6:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• There are some amazing books out there to help with just this topic. Be open, honest and don't freak. Answer whatever questions she has. She will be getting more and more info at school, from the health teacher and from her friends. IT is best to give her the most accurate info possible.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I agree with the above, let her talk, see where she is at with knowledge and maturity. The hardest thing for many parents, I think, is to let their kids lead conversations...Kudos to you for starting now... I have a 10 year old son and we are at the same stage...

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 11:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• We have just been having smaller talks with our son over the last year (he is ten) as he asks about things, or as we see fit. I think that giving the information in smaller bits over time makes it easier for them to absorb the information rather than dumping it on them all at once. JMHO...
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:47 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My SIL(who will be 13 in December)started her period when she was 11&my MIL hadn't even talked to her about any of that so I got the job of explaining things to her...I just asked her what she had already learned from kids at school and then I just told her that you have sex when you're in love&WAY older...I showed her some stuff on the internet about what happens when you have sex and just the basic stuff about sex
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Here is an article about discussing puberty & the birds and bees http://www.ehow.com/how_5320080_talk-child-puberty.html

and here are some good books to help with the discussion and can be given to here http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=9   (read the reviews to see which you might like the best and what other parents think)

momjs

Answer by momjs at 7:14 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I would just be factual about it and not go into too much detail about sex...just factually how it relates to pregnancy and how that connects to menstruation. Then most of the talk should be about what she needs to know about her own body and her period, etc. I think you have to consider the child, too, and how much she is likely to have been exposed to. If she is seeing kids her age or a year of two older having sex and things like that, then you have to address it in a more direct way. I do think it is a good idea to ask her what she has heard and what she believes and take the conversation from there.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:19 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My ten year old twins just one day asked it I would explain sex to them. So i did. I use anatomical terms and kept a matter of fact tone. It was a bit difficult, especially when I told them that the penis has to go into the vagina so the sperm can get to the egg. One son was horrified at the prospect of having to get naked to do this, lol. After all that, that was his biggest worry, the other one just said, thanks mommy.
    lovetwins89

Answer by lovetwins89 at 10:18 AM on Nov. 19, 2009