my 12 month old son has been having tantrums. he throws himself backwards n crys . its driving me crazy and making me nervous. is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• yes very normal. andif you dont stop it soon it will only get worse. what you do is ignore the tantrum. the more attention you give to him the more he will do them. he is hiiting the terrible 2
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• It's an attention getter, just "ignore" the tantrums. Just make sure there is nothing around for him to hurt himself on.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• haha.. SO normal but I remember being terrified about it when my son turned 1 and started it.. he would even sometimes bang his head on the floor. I totally ignored it and he did stop - he hit himself for a few months during anger but at that point i did realize he's filled with these emotions that he didn't know how to control at his little age.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Yeah, when mine did that, I'd make sure he didn't hit his head on the way down, give him a "look" and then ignore it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Yeah, I completely agree with everyone else JUST IGNORE IT! It is normal, so don't worry. My daughter started doing it not long ago and I completely ignore her. She usually forgets what she was freaking out for in the first place. Hopefully, before too long the tantrums end altogether for the most part.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Yes This Is Normal!! My daughter has started doing the same thing recently and I asked her doctor about it and he said that it is perfectly normal and that he suggested when she throws a fit like I described and you described to walk away show no emotion what so ever to it and ignore it completely because if not then they will do it for attention and be 10 times worse if you give them what they are flipping out over he said when she stopped throwing the fit then ask if she is ready to be good and then give them what they want but only if they are acting the way you think they should act hope this helps
    Kelly_Motherof2

Answer by Kelly_Motherof2 at 12:04 AM on Nov. 18, 2009